List of plates

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Janet Cooper (Editor)

Year published

2001

Supporting documents

Pages

8-10

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of plates', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. VIII-X. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15121 Date accessed: 28 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

LIST OF PLATES

For permission to reproduce copyright material grateful acknowledgement is made to: the Vicar and Churchwardens of Aldham, the Ashmolean Museum Oxford, Ronald Blythe, Esq., John Byfield, Esq., Colchester Museum, the Vicar and Churchwardens of Dedham, English Heritage for material from the National Monuments Record (N.M.R.), Essex County Council Planning Department, Essex Record Office (E.R.O.), Ipswich Museum and Art Gallery, Kitchenham Limited, Sir Alfred Munnings Museum Dedham, and the University of Essex.

Frontispiece: Copford Church: the chancel in the early 20th century. Photograph in E.R.O., Benton Collection.

Plates between pages 168 and 169

1. West Bergholt church and manor house in 1974. Crown copyright. N.M.R. Photograph BB74/1725

2. Langham mill in the early 20th century. Photograph in Colchester Museum

3. 'A Barge on the Stour at Dedham', 1924, by Sir Alfred Munnings. Oil painting in the Sir Alfred Munnings Art Museum, Dedham

4. 'Snow at Wormingford' by John Nash (d. 1977), reproduced by permission of Ronald Blythe

5. 'The Colne Valley Viaduct', 1850, by Edward Robert Smythe. Oil painting in Ipswich Museum and Art Gallery

6. 'Dedham Vale from Langham', 1812, by John Constable. Oil painting in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford

7. Langham church from the south-west in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/01676

8. Earls Colne church from the south-east in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/01695

9. Mount Bures church from the south in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/01654

10. Dedham church, the nave looking west, in 1972. Crown copyright. N.M.R. Photograph BB72/1404

11. Wakes Colne church, the interior in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/16056

12. Easthorpe church undergoing restoration in 1910. Photograph in Colchester Museum

13. Aldham, the old church c. 1854. Engraving in the possession of the vicar and churchwardens of Aldham

14. Little Horkesley church in the late 19th century. Photograph in Colchester Museum

15. Great Horkesley, former chantry chapel from the south-east in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/01692

16. The Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion chapel, Fordham in 1969. Crown copyright. N.M.R. Photograph AA70/3434

17. The Quaker and Methodist meeting-houses, Copford, in the late 19th century. Photograph in Colchester Museum

18. Colne Park, Colne Engaine, in 1896. Photograph in Essex Record Office, Sale Catalogue B5169

19. Wivenhoe Park c. 1902. Photograph at the University of Essex

20. Westwood Park, Great Horkesley, in 1925. Photograph in E.R.O., Sale Catalogue A3

21. Birch Hall, the staircase with colonnaded gallery, in 1954. Crown copyright. N.M.R. Photograph AA54/3201

22. Valley House, Langham, the staircase in the earlier 20th century. Photograph in private possession

23. Archendines, Fordham, in 1999, staircase designed by Raymond Erith. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/16023

24. Horsepits, West Bergholt, from the west, in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/16064

25. Old House Farm, Wakes Colne, from the north-west, in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/01709

26. Garnons, Wormingford, from the north-west, in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/16008

27. Aldham Hall, west elevation, in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/16070

28. Crepping Hall, Wakes Colne, east elevation, in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/16079

29. Wenlocks, Boxted, from the south-east, in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/01677

30. Beacon End Farm, Stanway, from the south-west, in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/01713

31. Scarletts, West Bergholt, from the north-west, in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph BB99/16068

32. Rowhedge, East Donyland, from the river, in 1904. Photograph in E.R.O., Acc. C599 (uncat.)

33. Colneford or White Colne green, Earls Colne and White Colne, c. 1900. Photograph in A. Hills and A. H. J. Smith, Earls Colne (priv. print. c. 1944)

34. Earls Colne High Street, in 1928. Photograph in R. Hunt & Co. Ltd., Catalogue (1928) in E.R.O., Acc. 7847 (uncat.)

35. Chappel village in 1995. Photograph by Shirley Durgan

36. Birch, Church Cottages, c. 1900. E.R.O., postcard collection

37. Dedham, Royal Square and High Street in the 1930s. Photograph in Colchester Museum

38. Nightingale Hall barn, Earls Colne, c. 1980. Photograph by Essex County Council Planning Department

39. Easthorpe Hall and farm buildings, c. 1950. Photograph in Colchester Museum

40. Overshot Mill, Colne Engaine, c. 1980. Photograph by Essex County Council Planning Department

41. Southfields, Dedham, from the south-west, in 1933. Photograph in E.R.O., Sale Catalogue B7181

42. Estate cottages, Wivenhoe, c. 1902. Photograph at the University of Essex

43. Cottages, Salvation Army settlement, Boxted, in 1916. Photograph in E.R.O., Sale Catalogue B3286

44. Copford council houses in 1999. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph AA99/01994

45. Great Horkesley school c. 1980. Photograph by Essex County Council Planning Department

46. Langham school in the late 19th century. From a postcard in the possession of Mr. John Byfield

47. The National school, Birch, with pupils and teachers, c. 1870. Photograph in E.R.O., Acc. C930 (uncat.)

48. Earls Colne, the Smithy at Hunt's Atlas Works, in 1905. Photograph in E.R.O., Acc. A7847 (uncat.), from Implement and Machinery Review, June 1905

49. Daniell's Brewery, West Bergholt, in the mid 20th century. Photograph in Colchester Museum

50. Wivenhoe, the upstream shipyard in the early 20th century. Photograph in Colchester Museum

51. Stanway gravel workings in 1998. Photograph by Kitchenham Ltd.

52. Dedham, High Street and Princel Green, from the church tower, c. 1950. Photograph in the possession of the vicar and churchwardens

53. Tollgate shopping centre, Stanway, in 1990. Photograph by Essex County Council Planning Department