CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
shared in Love's charity. In the 1830s the
Aldham trustees allowed the £2 10s. a year
income to accumulate for several years before
spending it on bread and blankets. (fn. 4)
Nicholas Stowe, by will proved 1563, pro-
vided that, if his heirs failed, his house and land
in Aldham should be sold and the proceeds
given to the poor. (fn. 5) The land was presumably
that recovered for the poor before 1610 and held
for them later in the 17th century. (fn. 6) In 1712 trus-
tees for the poor held a house called Crapes and
16 a. of land, presumably Stowe's. In 1831 the
charity, then called Crapes, provided annuities
of £1 5s. a year for 16 poor married couples not
receiving parish relief. (fn. 7) By 1919 falling income
had reduced annuities to 15s., but the sale of the
land that year enabled sums varying from 15s.
to £2 to be paid until 1967. In 1967 a Charity
Commission Scheme amalgamated Love's and
Crape's charities. In 1992 the combined income
of the two charities was £201.33, which was used
for grants in individual cases of hardship. (fn. 8)
Edward H. Lee's charity, founded by a declar-
ation of trust of 1973, gave half its income, £168
in 1998, to the rector and the church and half
to the Aldham Good Neighbours Club for the
relief of the elderly. (fn. 9)
A former almshouse in Fordstreet recorded
c. 1554, and an almshouse in the churchyard
recorded in 1607 were presumably unen-
dowed. (fn. 10) By indenture of 1880 the rector,
Charles Bannatyne, conveyed to trustees 4 alms-
houses which his sister Dorothea Bannatyne
had endowed, opposite the new church. The
almspeople, from Aldham and neighbouring
parishes, received stipends of 3s. a week for indi-
viduals or 5s. for couples. (fn. 11) Payment of stipends
ceased in 1954; from 1960 residents contributed
to the maintenance of the houses, but they
also became eligible for annuities from Crapes
charity. The houses were modernised in 1989,
with the help of a loan from Colchester Borough
Council. (fn. 12)
In 1929 Agnes Hines of Aldham Hall built a
pair of almshouses in Brook Road in memory of
her husband James. Under a declaration of trust
of 1930 and a Scheme of 1970 the almspeople
are aged and infirm residents of Aldham. (fn. 13)
32nd Rep. Com. Char. 624-6; below, Little Horkesley,
||E.R.O., D/ABW 34/17.
||P.R.O., REQ 2/68/45; E.R.O., D/DWe P9; D/DWe
M8; D/DU 91/1; Guildhall MS. 9628, box 3.
||E.R.O., D/P 208/25/1-2; ibid. Acc. C645 (uncat.);
32nd Rep. Com. Char. 626-7.
||E.R.O., Acc. C645 (uncat.); Acc. A4933 (uncat.);
Char. Com. file.
||Inf. from the trustees; above, this par. Church.
||P.R.O., DL 43/2/1; E.R.O., D/P 208/1/1.
||Char. Com., Unrep. Vol. 45, p. 468; E.R.O., D/P
208/25/19; board in ch.
||E.R.O., Acc. A4933 (uncat.); Char. Com. file.
||Char. Com. reg.; plaque on building.