West Bergholt
Education

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Janet Cooper (Editor)

Year published

2001

Supporting documents

Pages

37-38

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'West Bergholt: Education', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 37-38. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15143 Date accessed: 23 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

EDUCATION.

In 1810 about 50 children attended three schools; one was run by the parish clerk, the others were dame schools. (fn. 23) A Sunday school was started, at the rector's expense, in 1817. (fn. 24) In 1829, when the school was united with the National Society, 50 children attended out of the 120 between the ages of 7 and 13 in need of education; there was no schoolroom. In 1835 the rector held a day school in the rectory twice a week for 73 pupils. (fn. 25) In 1846 there were 39 pupils and the school was paid for by subscription. (fn. 26) By deed of gift dated 1858, John Round of Brighton and John Round, his son, gave ½ a. of land on Bergholt common for a school, which was built by public subscription. (fn. 27) In 1871 there were 78 children on the roll. (fn. 28) A new classroom was added in 1874 and by 1881 there were places for 169 children. (fn. 29) The school was enlarged in 1901 when the British school closed, and again in 1906, to accommodate 230. (fn. 30) In 1943 it was reclassified for juniors and infants only, 44 senior pupils being transferred to Stanway Council school. The school was granted Controlled status in 1947, and was renamed the Heathland Church of England Primary school. (fn. 31) The building was further extended in 1964 and 1969. (fn. 32)

In 1818 there were two small private day schools in the parish (fn. 33) one of which may have survived in 1833 when five were listed, three of them run by nonconformists. A Wesleyan Methodist school opened in 1822 had 13 pupils in 1833 (fn. 34) and in 1851 the associated Sunday school had c. 50 pupils. (fn. 35) A Primitive Methodist day school, apparently started c. 1851, had closed before 1857. (fn. 36) By 1874 a British school for 58 children had opened in the rebuilt Primitive Methodist chapel. It received annual government grants and was enlarged to hold 134 in 1881, (fn. 37) but closed for lack of funds in 1901. The building survived in 1995. (fn. 38)

A private school with 46 children, opened in 1825, may have been the boarding academy run by J. W. Harrington in 1848, and the school at Grays on Lexden Road in 1854; it was last recorded with 32 pupils in 1857. (fn. 39) By 1871 there were three private schools with no religious connexion. (fn. 40)

Footnotes

23 Lamb. Pal. Libr., Randolph papers 9.
24 C. K. Douglas, 1858-1958: a brief history of West Bergholt Heathlands C. of E. primary school (1958): copy in E.C.L. Colch.
25 Nat. Soc. files.
26 Nat. Soc. Inquiry 1846-7.
27 Nat. Soc. file; White's Dir. Essex (1863), 128; E.R.O., D/DMa T4.
28 Returns Relating to Elem. Educ. H.C. 201, p. 446 (1871), lv.
29 P.R.O., ED 21/5420; Rep. of Educ. Cttee. of Council, 1880-81 [C.2948-1], p. 580, H.C. (1881), xxxii.
30 P.R.O., ED 21/5420; Return of Non-Provided Schs. H.C. 178, p. 498 (1906), lxxxvii.
31 E.R.O., T/P 375/5.
32 Ibid. C/ME 39, 41, 58, 63.
33 Educ. of Poor Digest, 247.
34 Educ. Enq. Abstract, 266.
35 Nat. Soc. files; P.R.O., H.O. 129/8/205.
36 E.C.S. 15 May 1857.
37 Rep. of Educ. Cttee. of Council 1873-4 [C.1019-1], p. 322, H.C. (1874), xviii; ibid. 1880-1 [C. 2948-1], p. 580, H.C. (1881), xxxii.
38 P.R.O., ED 21/5420.
39 Educ. Enq. Abstract, 266; White's Dir. Essex (1848), 116; E.C.S. 12 June 1857; P.R.O., HO 107/1782; 128/8/205.
40 Returns Relating to Elem. Educ. 446.