In 1681 thirtythree
people attended an illegal religious meeting. (fn. 41)
Mount Bures Strict Baptist church (fn. 42) originated when Charles Cock from Uptree (presumably Tiptree), a farmer's son, preached three
times on Sundays in a cottage in Mount Bures
in the 1830s. He attracted farm workers and
tradesmen from a wide area, and in 1839 a small
rectangular brick chapel was erected in Chappel
Road by voluntary subscription. After c. 12
years Cock was succeeded by John Hazelton
from London. (fn. 43) On census Sunday 1851 there
were attendances of 80 in the morning and 110
in the afternoon. (fn. 44) The annual anniversary celebration in 1881 with five visiting preachers
attracted 140 people from many parts of Essex
and Suffolk, and in 1897 'for life and spirituality
Mount Bures [was] considered one of the best
Baptist causes in Essex'. (fn. 45) Further pastors
served until Joseph Quinney who resigned in
1911; thereafter services were held by visiting
preachers. Numbers declined in the 20th century to an average attendance of c. 11 in 1996.
There was a closed communion, and articles of
faith included belief in predestination. The
church apparently joined the Essex Association
of Strict Baptist Churches in 1880, and was
admitted to the Gospel Standard Society of
Strict Baptist Churches in 1937. There was an
attached burial ground by 1890, (fn. 46) which was
used until 1983.
||E.R.O., Q/SR 443/45.
||Except where otherwise stated the following account
is based on Mount Bures Strict Baptist Chapel Books,
1874-1996 (continuing), which in 1997 were in the pos-
session of Mr. R. Collar.
||Ch. rec. in possession of Mr. R. Collar, The Sower
(May 1897), 99-101.
||P.R.O., HO 129/8/205.
||Ch. rec. The Sower (May 1897), 101.
Kelly's Dir. Essex (1890).