Most land in Chappel was held of
Crepping and Great Tey manors, (fn. 18) and no estate
there was separately recorded in Domesday
Book. In 1347 the Crepping court appointed
officers for 'Bridgehall manor', and land in Great
Tey or Chappel was held of 'Bridgehall fee' in
1402 and of 'Bridgehall manor' in 1593, (fn. 19) but
there is no later record of a separate Bridgehall
BACONS, a medieval freehold called a
manor from the 16th century, (fn. 20) derived from a
ploughland held of Great Tey manor in 1283 by
Roger son of Richard who probably also held
land of Crepping manor. (fn. 21) By 1306 the estate
had passed to Thomas and Denise Bacon, and
by 1309 to John Bacon who held over 200 a. of
Crepping manor in 1340. (fn. 22) John seems to have
been succeeded by Margery, daughter of
Edmund Bacon and wife of William de Molyns,
although Denise Bacon held over 200 a., pre-
sumably in dower, until her death in 1349.
William de Molyns and Margery obtained pos-
session in 1352. (fn. 23) In 1374 Roger at March held
the estate, and in 1415 Robert Rikedon (who
may have been mesne lord). William Calthorpe
died seised of the estate in 1421, and was suc-
ceeded by his grandson, another William
Calthorpe, from whom Bacons passed to John
Calthorpe, then to John's son Philip (d. 1549),
and to Philip's daughter Elizabeth, wife of
Henry Parker. (fn. 24) In 1562 William Woodhouse
and his wife Elizabeth, presumably Elizabeth
Calthorpe, sold the estate to John Turner of
Crepping Hall (d. 1579). (fn. 25) Bacons descended
with Crepping until John Smith's death in 1621,
when it seems to have passed to his nephew,
another John Smith, who sold it in 1645 to
William Stebbing. (fn. 26) Stebbing sold it in 1650 to
Christoper Scarlet, who was succeeded the same
year by his son Thomas. Stephen Smith of
Crepping Hall disputed Thomas Scarlet's title,
and in 1664 the estate was divided between
them. The two moieties descended in the Smith
and Scarlet families until 1713 when both were
sold to John Little. Little died before 1744 and
was succeeded by his daughter Susan Foster.
Thomas Stuck was lord in 1770 and in 1786,
but by 1790 the manor had passed to Samuel
Shaen. (fn. 27) He died in 1799 and his widow
Hephzibah held the manor until 1823 when she
conveyed it to her daughter, another Hephzibah
Shaen, who immediately sold it to John Rogers.
Rogers died in 1867 and was succeeded by his
son J. T. Rogers, who enfranchised the copy-
holds. (fn. 28) The house and land apparently passed
into the possession of Charles Alexander (d.
1775) of Crepping Hall, and descended with
Crepping until 1841 or later. (fn. 29)
The house was rebuilt as a square, red-brick,
farmhouse in the mid 19th century, presumably
for William Dean (d. 1852), its tenant by 1810. (fn. 30)
||Below, Wakes Colne, Manors; Great Tey is reserved for treatment in a ater volume.
||E.R.O., D/DBm M3, rot. 37; D/DBm M6, rot. 3; D/DBm M12; D/DCm M1, pp. 26-7, 35.
||Ibid. T/P 195/11/17.
||Ibid. D/DCm M1, p. 15; Feet of F. Essex, ii. 236.
Feet of F. Essex, ii. 110, 125-6; iii. 52.
Cal. Inq. p.m. x, pp. 9-10.
||E.R.O., D/DCm M1, p. 15; B.L. Add. Roll 41523 (5).
||P.R.O., PROB 11/61, f. 274; Feet of F. Essex, v. 96.
||Morant, Essex, ii. 206; P.R.O., REQ 2/307/38; E.R.O., D/ACW 6/621.
||E.R.O., T/P 195/11/17; ibid. D/DZa 1, 8.
||Ibid. D/DZa 11, p. 4; D/DZa 12, pp. 37-45, 115, and unnumbered page at front of vol.
||Ibid. T/P 195/11/17; ibid. D/CT 71A.
||Ibid. D/P 37/28/7; D/P 87/1/8.