A free school, supported by
voluntary subscriptions, taught poor children
between 1790 and 1796. A Sunday school estab-
lished in 1804 educated 30 children in 1818,
when it also met three nights a week. (fn. 62) During
the next 25 years numbers rose to 105 in inadequate and unsuitable accommodation. In 1845
the guardians of Halstead Poor Law Union gave
part of Sexton's field, west of the church, for a
National school for 100 children, which opened
the same year. (fn. 63) The school received yearly
government grants from 1868. (fn. 64) The building
was used for evening classes during the 1870s
and 1880s. Grants from the National Society
and the Diocesan Board helped to add an
infants' classroom in 1893. In 1915 the managers
bought more of Sexton's field to extend the
school; further repairs and improvements were
carried out in 1922. In 1938 senior children
transferred to Halstead leaving Colne Engaine
as a Church of England Primary school. The
school was granted Aided status in 1954, and in
1970 moved into new and larger buildings in
Green Farm Road which were extended in the
early 1990s. In 1995 there were c. 100 children
on the roll. (fn. 65)
||E.R.O., D/P 193/12/2, at end of bk.; Lamb. Pal. Libr.,
Porteus papers 25; Digest of Returns to Sel. Cttee. on Educ.
of Poor, H.C. 224, p. 252 (1819), ix (1).
||Nat. Soc. file; E.R.O., D/P 193/8/6.
Rep. of Educ. Cttee. of Council, 1871-2 [C.601], p. 258,
H.C. (1872), xxii, and following years; cf. Guildhall MS.
Colne Engaine: Story of an Essex Village, 28; inf. from