The recusant Edmund
Church lived in the parish in 1590, and another
man presented for failure to attend church in
1590, 1600, and 1605 may also have been a
Roman Catholic. (fn. 34)
One of the two or more Quakers in the parish
in 1664 accused church-goers of serving the
devil. (fn. 35) Another man whose nine children were
all baptized that year, and the nine adults or
older children baptised between 1692 and
1703 may also have been Quakers. (fn. 36) The rector
reported one Quaker in the parish in 1766. (fn. 37)
Nonconformist services were held in or near
the parish in 1790, and in 1810 about 30
Independents held services in a private house. (fn. 38)
The congregation meeting in a cottage in 1829
belonged to the Countess of Huntingdon's
Connexion and was led by the minister from
Fordham. (fn. 39) The Strict Baptist minister living in
the parish in 1891 (fn. 40) served the Mount Bures
The Peculiar People founded a mission in a
converted cottage c. 1900. About 1920 a wartime
hospital hut, apparently from Earls Colne, was
erected in Inworth Road as a chapel. The church
became Evangelical early in the 1950s and closed
before 1979. (fn. 41)
||E.R.O., Q/SR 112/42, 112/65, 114/36, 148/20; ibid.
D/ACA 27, f. 159; Cal. Assize Rec. Essex, Eliz. 1, p. 357;
for Church see V.C.H. Essex, ix. 386.
||Guildhall MS. 9583/2, no. 63.
||E.R.O., D/P 88/1/1-2.
||Lamb. Pal. Libr., Terrick Papers 14.
||Ibid. Porteus Papers 25, Randolph Papers 9.
||E.R.O., Q/CR 3/1/87-8; Q/CR 3/2/37, 46.
||P.R.O., RG 12/1416.
||M. Sorrell, Peculiar People, 47, 154; inf. from Mrs.
Valerie Sayer and Mrs. Ida McMaster.