White Colne
Charities for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Janet Cooper (Editor)

Year published

2001

Supporting documents

Page

139

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'White Colne: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 139. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15208 Date accessed: 20 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.

Before 1778 a 2-a. field in the north-west corner of the parish, later called Town field, was given to the poor, perhaps by a member of the Gurliphant or Gurlivance family who lived in the parish in the 16th century. In 1816 the annual income was £1 10s.; in 1836, £3 which was carried to the poor rate. (fn. 89) No further record of the charity has been found.

Footnotes

89 Lamb. Pal. Libr., Lowth papers 4; E.R.O., Q/RSr 1; 32nd. Rep. Com. Char. H.C. 108, p. 643 (1837-8), xxv; cf. E.R.O., D/ACR 1, f. 166; D/ACR 2, ff. 159v.-160; D/ACR 3, f. 14v.; ibid. D/CT 104.