CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
Edmund Mountjoy, by
will dated 1623,left £20 to the
poor of Copford to be invested at the discretion
of his brother Alan (Allen). By indenture of 1624
Alan gave two cottages for the poor. The charity
was apparently in abeyance during the later 17th
century, and the cottages reverted to the
Mountjoy family until, by an indenture of 1694,
they were conveyed in trust to the rector. The
cottages were rebuilt in 1862 partly at the rector's
expense. In 1875 they were sold to T. H.
Harrison of Copford Hall for £400. After outstanding
debts had been paid, the balance of
c. £200 was invested and a Scheme directed that
the income be used to provide fuel, food, medical
care, and, in special cases, cash payments to
the needy. The charity was registered in 1965
as the Allen Mountjoy Charity. In 1993 the
interest from the investment was £4. (fn. 10)
By deed poll of 1868, Mary Kelly gave £212
to the rector and churchwardens. After paying
for the repair of tablets in the church and a
tombstone, a moiety of the residue was to be
used for coals or blankets for the poor and a
moiety for parochial schools. The income in
1993 was £5. (fn. 11)
32nd Rep. Com. Char. p. 644; E.A.T. n.s. xxiv. 56-68;
Char. Com. file.
||Char. Com. file.