Victoria County History



Janet Cooper (Editor)

Year published


Supporting documents




Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Easthorpe: Education', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 205. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15239 Date accessed: 23 November 2014.


(Min 3 characters)


In 1819 parishioners were paying for poor children to go to school in a neighbouring parish, probably Copford. (fn. 19) The rector started a Sunday school in 1826, and a day school was added in 1827, largely at the expense of Mrs. Cranley Onslow. In 1833 the Sunday school had 38 pupils and the day school 35. (fn. 20) In 1837 a small schoolhouse stood east of the church. (fn. 21) In 1841 the school, which was run by the diocesan board, was supported by volun- tary subscriptions. By 1874 the school had been improved to bring it up to the required standard of efficiency for 26 children, but it never received the annual government grant. Some of the pupils came from Birch but lived much closer to Easthorpe school than their own. The rector closed the school c. 1895 and the 9 pupils from Easthorpe subsequently attended Copford school. (fn. 22) In 1903 the building was disused and in disrepair. (fn. 23)


19 Digest Returns Sel. Cttee. Educ. Poor, H.C. 224, p. 254 (1819), ix (1).
20 Educ. Enq. Abstract, 274.
21 E.R.O., D/CT 124.
22 Ibid. D/ACM 12; Nat. Soc. Inquiry, 1846-7, Essex, pp. 18-19; P.R.O., ED 2/162; Kelly's Dir. Essex (1894).
23 Nat. Soc. file.