Easthorpe
Charity for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Janet Cooper (Editor)

Year published

2001

Supporting documents

Page

205

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Easthorpe: Charity for the poor', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 205. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15240 Date accessed: 23 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITY FOR THE POOR.

The rector, John Kingston, by will dated 1557, left an annual rent of 7s. 2½d. charged on a house and lands called Garlands, later Winnings, to be dis- tributed to the poor at the incumbent's dis- cretion. (fn. 24) The money was still being paid in 1837, and apparently in 1848 and 1863, but no later record has been found. (fn. 25)

Footnotes

24 E.R.O., D/ABW 22/76; P.R.O., C 93/1/19.
25 E.R.O., D/P 386/1/1; 32nd Rep. Com. Char. p. 644; White's Dir. Essex (1848), 123; (1863), 136; Kelly's Dir. Essex (1866).