Fordham
Charities for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Janet Cooper (Editor)

Year published

2001

Supporting documents

Page

218

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Fordham: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 10: Lexden Hundred (Part) including Dedham, Earls Colne and Wivenhoe (2001), pp. 218. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15248 Date accessed: 22 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.

The parish shared in Thomas Love's charity. (fn. 24) In 1994 the income was £135. (fn. 25)

By will proved 1793, William Ellis gave to the poor 40s. from the yearly interest on his £1,000 bequest to the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion chapel. Regular attenders from any parish were eligible. (fn. 26) A Charity Commission scheme of 1994 combined the charity with three smaller charities as the Fordham Combined Charities, the income of which was mainly used for the upkeep of the former chapel graveyard. (fn. 27)

Footnotes

24 Above, Little Horkesley, Charities.
25 Char. Com. file.
26 32nd Rep. Com. Char. pp. 645-7; E.R.O., D/ABR 28, f. 357.
27 P. Lewis, This Barren Land, 53.