CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
by will dated 1509, left a house and 30 a. in
Elmstead to the poor of Great Horkesley. In
1836 the yearly income was Z30; part was used
to pay weekly stipends to seven of the oldest
parishioners, the rest was allowed to accumulate
and used to apprentice poor boys.
(fn. 32) In 1914 a Scheme combined the charity with Love's char- ity in which Great Horkesley shared.
(fn. 33) The farm in Elmstead was sold before 1990. In 1990 divi- dends of c. Z57 were received and 11 people received Z5 each.
Before 1548, and probably between 1502 and 1536, John Whiter gave a house for the use of the poor.
(fn. 35) In 1566 a parishioner left 10s. to it, and it was presumably the almshouse for two poor inhabitants recorded in 1768.
(fn. 36) It may have become the parish workhouse near Francis bridge which was sold in 1837, or it may have been at Workhouse Yard near the Rose and Crown.
||32nd Rep. Com. Char. pp. 647Z8; E.R.O., T/P 195/11.
||Below, Little Horkesley, Char.
||Char. Com. file.
Feet of F. Essex, iv. 105, 209; P.R.O., E 301/19/193; E 318/29/1640.
||Morant, Essex, ii. 239; F. G. Emmison, Elizabethan Life: Wills of Essex Gentry and Merchants, 45.
||E.R.O., D/DHw P6; above, this par., Loc. Govt.