Fyfield
Nonconformity

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

W. R. Powell (Editor)

Year published

1956

Supporting documents

Page

55

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Fyfield: Nonconformity', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4: Ongar Hundred (1956), pp. 55. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15549 Date accessed: 17 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

NONCONFORMITY

Fyfield was one of the places at which a new Congregational church or school was started soon after the formation of the Essex Congregational Union in 1798. (fn. 90) There was, however, no mention of such a church or school at Fyfield in the returns of 1829. A nonconformist mission hall was opened in the village in 1894 and is still in use. (fn. 91) It is a small redbrick building bearing that date.

Footnotes

90 R. Burls, Essex Congr. Union, 19. The Nook at Norwood End (see above, p.44) may have been used as the church, or school.
91 Kelly's Dir. Essex (1933).