In 1687 Dr. Anthony Walker, Rector of Fyfield, devised property in
Fyfield and High Ongar (fn. 34) for the provision of a school (fn. 35)
and a rent-free house for the church clerk, and for the
benefit of the poor. In 1834 £2 12s. was distributed to
the poor in bread. This part of the charity, however,
seems to have disappeared later, since by 1905 the
whole of the endowment was held for educational purposes except the clerk's house and a small yearly sum
for its maintenance.
The house left for the clerk was the smaller of the
two tenements called Bruetts, in Fyfield Street, the
larger being for the schoolmaster or dame. In 1873 it
was disputed whether the charity was for the church
clerk or the parish clerk; the decision went in the church
clerk's favour, and the house is still occupied by his
successor. In 1949 the school charity and the parochial
church council both advanced money for the repair of
the house, which had been little altered for some centuries. It is timber-framed with a steep roof and dates
from the 16th century or earlier. (fn. 36)
John Collins, (fn. 37) by will dated 1751, (fn. 38) left a field in
Moreton to the poor of Fyfield. It was let at £5 a year
in 1834 and in 1907, when it was sold for £120 which
was invested. In 1834 the income was spent on bread,
distributed with Walker's Charity, and on 1s. doles to
widows and other poor persons. The bread doles were
stopped in 1917 under a scheme of 1915. In 1935 the
income of £3 11s. 8d. was distributed in small sums of
cash and the same practice appears to have been followed since.
The Revd. Robert Gibson, by will proved 1840, left
£200 in trust for distribution among the poor of the
parish, preferably those who were sober and industrious
and attended church regularly. Charlotte Gibson, by
will proved 1859, left £200 in trust for the yearly distribution of blankets, sheets, coals, or clothing to the
poor of the parish. These two charities have generally
been distributed together. In 1950 the income of £5
from each was given away in food and clothing. (fn. 39)
||See Frith Hall in High Ongar.
||See above, Schools.
Rep. Com. Char. (Essex), H.C. 216,
pp. 225-7 (1835), xxi (1); Char. Com.files.
||Ibid.; Hist. Essex by Gent. iii, 336-7.
||This date, given in Rep. Com. Char(Essex), p. 227, is evidently a mistake.
Collins died in Sept. 1750.
||Char. Com. files.