The house of Robert Morris in High Laver was
licensed for Presbyterian worship in 1673, (fn. 87) but no permanent congregation appears
to have been established. About 1869 Mr. Vale, the
Congregational evangelist from Moreton (q.v.), started
preaching at Thrushesbush in High Laver. (fn. 88) In 1870
Vale reported that the work at Thrushesbush was not
going well, 'great influence is used to prevent the poor
from attending'. (fn. 89) For several years Thrushesbush
continued to be associated with Moreton. In 1876 the
Revd. W. Passmore of Moreton and the Revd. G. E.
Singleton of Hatfield Heath both helped there, and
in 1877 a chapel was opened, the gift of Mr. Matthews
of Campions, near Hatfield Heath. (fn. 90) In 1882 it was
attended by about 60, but by 1883 it had ceased to be
used by the Congregationalists. (fn. 91)
In 1883 it was proposed that the Wanstead and
Woodford Methodist circuit should take it over. The
circuit refused, but Messrs. E. Pope, Godwin, and
Bowes purchased the chapel, and it was subsequently
accepted on the circuit plan. (fn. 92) It was later taken over
by the North West Essex Mission and had apparently
been closed by 1906. (fn. 93)
It is now a dwelling house called 'Drinkwaters'. It
lies outside the parish boundary on the north side of
the Harlow road. The upper part of the structure is
timber framed, the panels being filled with brick
nogging and plaster. The front is altered.
||G. L. Turner, Org. Recs. of Early Nonconformity, ii, 929.
Essex Congr. Union Reps. 1869.
||Address by A. W. Leach, J. P., at Wanstead, Dec. 1919, reported in Mins.of Local Preachers' Mtg. Wanstead and Woodford Circuit. For Pope see Loughton Nonconformity.
||Ibid.; Kelly's Dir. Essex (1906).