For Church Lands Charity see above, Church.
Jonathan Carver, citizen and clothworker of London, (fn. 17) by will dated
1699, left £5, issuing from lands at
Moreton End (fn. 18) in trust for the poor of Moreton. In
1834 blankets and clothing were given to all the poor
families in proportion to their size. In 1949 the
income, which was paid out of five separate properties,
was spent together with Brecknock's, Wilson's, and
Talbot's charities for the poor, in £32 worth of
vouchers for seventeen persons in varying amounts.
Anne Brecknock, by will dated 1804, left £200
stock for the upkeep of her grave and for quarterly distribution to the poor of the parish. The first purpose
was void by the rule against perpetuities. The income
was spent with that of Carver's Charity in 1834 and
William Wilson, Rector of Moreton, by will proved
1822, made various legacies to the parish. That for
the support of the school (see above) was much the
largest; the others were £100 and £200 stock in trust
for the beadle and parish clerk respectively, and £300
stock in trust for the poor. At least as late as 1933 the
first two were duly paid to the clerk and beadle, but
by 1947 the income of £7 10s. from both was spent
in part payment of the verger's fee. The charity for the
poor was distributed in 1834 and 1949 along with
William Talbot, by will proved 1894, left £200
stock, subject to a life-interest, in trust for one or two
poor persons yearly, who had been resident in the parish
for ten years. The legacy came into effect in 1923 and
in 1925 the bench of magistrates at Chipping Ongar,
who were the original administrators, were replaced
by five trustees as enumerated for Carver's Charity
(above). In 1949 the income was distributed with that
from Carver's Charity. (fn. 19)
Rep. Com. Char. (Essex), H.C. 216,
pp. 230-2 (1835), xxi (1); Char. Com.
||E.R.O., D/P 72/25/17. Carver was
apparently a native of Moreton: W.
Talbot, MS. Hist. Moreton.
||E.R.O., D/P 72/25/20.
||For another legacy left by Talbot see