Theydon Bois
Protestant nonconformity

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

W. R. Powell (Editor)

Year published

1956

Supporting documents

Page

257

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Theydon Bois: Protestant nonconformity', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 4: Ongar Hundred (1956), pp. 257. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15699 Date accessed: 26 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

PROTESTANT NONCONFORMITY

In 1834 the house of James Cavill at Theydon Bois was licensed for the worship of Protestant dissenters. (fn. 91)

A Baptist church was founded here about 1885. (fn. 92) In 1900 it had 20 members and 60 Sunday school children. (fn. 93) The membership rose steadily to 85 in 1951, when there were 135 children in the Sunday school; the church then had a resident minister. (fn. 94) The present building, of brown brick with round-headed windows, stands on the south-west side of Theydon Green. It is dated 1894 (fn. 95) and seems to have been altered and restored later.

Footnotes

91 E.R.O., Q/RRw 1.
92 Kelly's Dir. Essex (1886); Char. Com. files.
93 Baptist Handbk. 1900.
94 Ibid. 1901 f., 1940, 1951.
95 Cf. E.R. iii, 157.