In 1818 the parish clerk and his wife kept a school
at Theydon Garnon, which was attended
by 20 boys and 26 girls. Six of these
children attended as the result of a grant
from Baker's Charity (see Charities, below) and the
fees of seventeen others were paid by benevolent persons. (fn. 48) This was still the only day school in the parish
in 1839, when 12 boys and 14 girls attended it. The
decline in attendance was probably due to increased
educational provision at Theydon Mount and Epping.
By that time there was also a Sunday school at Theydon
Garnon. (fn. 49) In 1846-7 there were 15 boys and 15 girls
at the parish clerk's school. He and an assistant mistress
received £27 a year between them. (fn. 50)
In 1850 Harriet Archer-Houblon of Coopersale
House (see above) built a National School and teacher's
house at Coopersale. During the following years she
contributed much of the school's income and took a
personal interest in its work. (fn. 51) The Vicar of Coopersale
also supervised the school and local Anglicans contributed to its support. (fn. 52) The school was immediately
successful. In 1858-9 it had an average attendance of
88 and was described by an inspector as 'a fair village
school'. (fn. 53) By 1871 attendance was over 100. (fn. 54) It
continued to rise and in 1879 Miss Archer-Houblon
enlarged the school at a cost of £300 to provide total
accommodation for 180 pupils. In 1880 average attendance was 117. (fn. 55) The annual government grant rose
from £37 in 1873 to £128 in 1902. (fn. 56)
In 1891 the school was placed under the management of the Rector and churchwardens of Theydon
Garnon, the Vicar and churchwardens of Coopersale,
and three subscribers belonging to the Church of
England, and the National Society became the owner
in trust, the deed requiring that religious teaching
should be according to Anglican principles. (fn. 57) By the
Education Act, 1902, the school passed under the
administration of the Essex Education Committee,
Epping District, as a non-provided school. Attendance
was 155 in 1904, and there was a staff of 4 teachers, a
probationer, and a monitress. (fn. 58) In 1910 the school was
further enlarged, but by 1926 average attendance had
fallen to 100. There was a further decrease after the
school had been reorganized in 1932 for mixed juniors
and infants. (fn. 59) In 1938 there were only 67 pupils but
in 1942 the children from Theydon Mount were
transferred to Theydon Garnon after the closure of
their school. In May 1952 there were 157 pupils and
4 teachers at Theydon Garnon. In view of financial
difficulties the managers have applied for controlled
status. (fn. 60) The school is single-storied, of red brick with
a tile roof. It bears the date 1850. A two-storied
teacher's house is attached. In the playground is a prefabricated building added in 1948. (fn. 61)
Retns. Educ. Poor, H.C. 224, p. 273 (1819), ix (1).
||E.R.O., D/P 30/28/19.
Nat. Soc. Enquiry into Ch. Schs. 1846- 7, pp. 18-19.
Kelly's Dir. Essex (1899).
||Inf. from Mr. Temple, Headmaster of the school; Kelly's Dir. Essex (1870).
Reps. on Schs. in Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex, 1858-9, p. 19 (in Min. of Educ. Libr.).
Retns. Elem. Educ. H.C. 201, pp. 110-11 (1871), lv.
Kelly's Dir. Essex (1899); Rep. of Educ. Cttee. of Council, 1880 [C. 2948-1], p. 579, H.C. (1881), xxxii.
Rep. of Educ. Cttee. of Council, 1873 [C. 1019], p. 325, H.C. (1874), xviii; Schs. under Bd. of Educ. 1902 [Cd. 1490], p. 74, H.C. (1903), li.
||Min. of Educ. File 13/366.
Essex Educ. Cttee. Handbk. 1904, p. 151.
||Min. of Educ. File 13/366; Kelly's Dir. Essex (1922).
||Inf. from Essex Educ. Cttee.
||Inf. from Mr. Temple.