List of illustrations

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

C R Elrington, N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), Kathleen Morgan, Brian S Smith

Year published

1972

Supporting documents

Pages

11-12

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of illustrations', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10: Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds (1972), pp. XI-XII. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15727 Date accessed: 31 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

For permission to reproduce material in their possession and for the loan of prints, thanks are offered to the British Museum, Edinburgh University Library, Gloucester Corporation, Gloucestershire County Council, Professor W. W. Horn, Miss M. J. Kerr, the National Monuments Record, and Mr. D. H. R. Shergold. The photograph of Haresfield Beacon is reproduced by permission of Times Newspapers Ltd., the photographs of Highnam Court by permission of Country Life Ltd., and the photograph of Randwick village by permission of Gloucestershire Newspapers Ltd.

Haresfield Beacon. Photograph by The Times, 1931 frontispiece
Highnam Court: plasterwork in the music room; the south front; and the drawing room. Photographs by Country Life, 1950 facing page 20
Highnam Court, chapel, and the Great Pool. From an engraving by T. Bonnor, published in S. Rudder, A New History of Gloucestershire (Cirencester, 1779) " " 21
Over Bridge, c.1830: the old bridge seen through the arch of the new. From a lithograph by Thomas Ballard in the Gloucester City Folk Museum (on loan from Gloucester City Library) " " 21
Newnham: view from across the river in the 18th century. From a drawing by James Holl in the possession of Miss M. J. Kerr " " 32
Newnham: houses on the west side of High Street. Photograph by C. R. Elrington, 1970 " " 32
Churcham church from the south. Photograph by B. S. Smith, 1969 " " 33
Highnam church: the interior with the Last Judgement by Thomas Gambier Parry. Photograph by G. Barnes, 1968 (N.M.R.) " " 33
Westbury Court, the water-garden, and the parish church. From an engraving by J. Kip, published in Britannia Illustrata, Vol. II (1709), and Atkyns, The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire (1712) " " 88
Lancaut from Winter's Leap in the early 19th century. From a print of a drawing by G. Eyre in the Gloucestershire Collection in the Gloucester City Library " " 89
View across the Wye, Lancaut, and the cliffs at Winter's Leap to the Severn. Photograph by W. R. Bawden, c.1960 " " 89
Elver fishing. Photograph by Walwins of Gloucester for the Gloucester City Museum, 1964 " " 112
Salmon putchers. Photograph by D. H. R. Shergold, 1958 " " 112
Lancaut church: the interior, c.1840. From a sketch by Sarah Ormerod in the Gloucestershire Record Office, D 726/1 " " 113
Woolaston church: the south porch, 1844. From a sketch by Sarah Ormerod in the Edinburgh University Library, Df. 1. 446 " " 113
Woolaston: the chapel at Woolaston Grange, c.1940. Photograph in the possession of the Revd. W. L. P. Gould in 1969 " " 113
Woolaston: the Moravian church at Brockweir. Photograph by B. S. Smith, 1969 " " 113
Frampton Court: the house as it was in 1696. From a drawing in the Gloucestershire Record Office, D 149/Z 1 " " 146
Frampton Court: the house built in the 1730s. Photograph by W. R. Bawden, c. 1960 " " 146
Frampton on Severn: the garden house at Frampton Court. Photograph by W. R. Bawden, c.1960 " " 147
Frampton on Severn: Manor Farm. Photograph by Reece Winstone, 1939 " " 147
Eastington: the summer-house at Alkerton Grange. Photograph by S. Pitcher, 1945 (N.M.R.) " " 172
Longney church: the south porch. Photograph by S. Pitcher, n.d. (N.M.R.) " " 172
Eastington: the Willows Hostel, formerly the Wheatenhurst Union workhouse. Photograph of c.1950 in the possession of the Welfare Dept., Gloucestershire County Council " " 172
Frocester: the gatehouse at Frocester Court. Photograph by W. R. Bawden, c. 1960 " " 173
Frocester: the roof of the medieval barn. Photograph by W. W. Horn, c.1968 " " 173
Frampton church: the Norman lead font. Photograph by B. C. Clayton, 1929 (N.M.R.) " " 206
Moreton Valence church: tympanum of the north doorway. Photograph by S. Pitcher, 1944 (N.M.R.) " " 206
Standish: tombs in the churchyard. Photograph by B. S. Smith, 1969 " " 206
Standish Court: the gatehouse. Photograph by B. S. Smith, 1969 " " 206
King's Stanley: the Court House. Photograph by B. S. Smith, 1969 " " 207
Hardwicke: Road Farm. Photograph by S. Pitcher, n.d. (N.M.R.) " " 207
Saul: a house in the High Street. Photograph by C. R. Elrington, 1967 facing page 207
Fretherne Court before demolition in 1924. Photograph in the Gloucestershire Record Office " " 207
One of the bridge houses on the Gloucester and Berkeley Canal, at Parkend. Photograph by B. S. Smith, 1969 " " 244
Randwick: the village from the south-west. Photograph by The Gloucester Citizen, 1967 " " 244
King's Stanley: Borough House Farm. Photograph by B. S. Smith, 1969 " " 245
Whitminster House. Photograph by C. R. Elrington, 1968 " " 245
Ebley Mill. Photograph by Eric de Maré, c. 1960 (N.M.R.) " " 282
Stanley Mill: the cast-iron pillars that support the floors. Photograph by E. C. Peckham, c.1950 (N.M.R.) " " 282
Quedgeley church in the late 18th century. From the Gloucestershire Record Office, proof plates for Bigland, Gloucestershire " " 283
Stonehouse: the church and the Stroudwater Canal in the late 18th century. From the Gloucestershire Record Office, proof plates for Bigland, Gloucestershire " " 283
Leonard Stanley: the church from the north-west. Photograph by S. Pitcher, 1948 (N.M.R.) " " 283
Leonard Stanley: the priory kitchen and the chapel. From an engraving by J. Newton, published in Francis Grose, Antiquities of England (1783-97), Vol. VIII " " 283