Blaisdon had no village school (fn. 2)
until 1847 when a National school was established
in the old poorhouse by the church, which was
rebuilt for the purpose in a mixture of brick and
stone with Tudor-style details. In 1874 the school
was being managed by the rector and had an
income from voluntary contributions, school pence,
and other sources; the average attendance was 25. (fn. 3)
In 1894 a new school and teacher's house were built
at the north end of the village by Peter Stubs. The
average attendance was 39 in 1897, (fn. 4) and had risen
to 77 by 1910, but later fell to 33 in 1936. (fn. 5) Attendance
had fallen to c. 12 when the school was closed in
1964. (fn. 6) The building, of stone with gables with
mock timber-framing, was used as a village hall in
Since the union with Flaxley Blaisdon has shared
in the charities for religious books and apprenticeships founded by Catherina Boevey in the 1720s; in
1969 the proceeds were being used to build up a
parish library and for financing courses in higher
education. (fn. 7)
||Cf. Educ. of Poor Digest, 292; Educ. Enquiry Abstract,
||Ed. 7/34/45; O.S. Map 1/2,500, Glos. XXXII. 1 (1880
Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1897), 43.
Bd. of Educ. List 21, 1911 (H.M.S.O.), 159; 1922, 102;
1932, 113; 1936, 119.
||Ex inf. the rector.
19th Rep. Com. Char. 91-92; ex inf. the rector.