Victoria County History



C R Elrington, N M Herbert, R B Pugh (Editors), Kathleen Morgan, Brian S Smith

Year published


Supporting documents




Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Haresfield: Education', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10: Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds (1972), pp. 197. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15828 Date accessed: 27 November 2014.


(Min 3 characters)


Mrs. Capel, perhaps the wife of Richard Capel, vicar 1679-1712, (fn. 37) gave £20, and Daniel Niblett by will dated 1772 gave £100, for teaching poor children; in 1773 the interest was £4 4s. 6d. (fn. 38) The master of the charity school was mentioned in 1785 and the school-house in 1789. (fn. 39) In 1818 5 children were being taught in the day school, and there was also a Sunday school; (fn. 40) by 1833 there were 5 charity children and 15 paid for by their parents. (fn. 41) In 1847 31 children were being taught by a paid mistress, an unpaid assistant, and a paid monitor; there were then also two dame schools with 7 and 6 children respectively. (fn. 42) A new Church of England schoolroom was built in 1873. (fn. 43) Attendance was 53 in 1904, (fn. 44) 65 in 1936, (fn. 45) and in 1967, when the elder children went to schools in Stroud and Quedgeley, the Haresfield C. of E. Primary school had an attendance of c. 28. (fn. 46)


37 Hockaday Abs. ccxxxiii.
38 16th Rep. Com. Char. 68.
39 Vestry min. bk. 1735-1829, penes estate office, Haresfield Court.
40 Educ. of Poor Digest, 300.
41 Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 316.
42 Church School Inquiry, 1846-7, 10-11.
43 Kelly's Dir. Glos. (1885), 499.
44 Public Elem. Schs. 1906, 185.
45 Bd. of Educ. List 21, 1936 (H.M.S.O.), 121.
46 Ex inf. County Education Office and the head teacher.