Thomas Vobes by will dated 1706
gave property in Randwick in reversion for teaching
poor children of the parish, and £50 given by
Richard Cambridge and £20 given by Ann Hawker
for erecting a schoolroom and supporting a master
was laid out on land in 1730. The property acquired
by the three donations was settled on trustees in
1734 (fn. 27) and the school had evidently been started by
1747. (fn. 28) In 1749 various inhabitants of Randwick
subscribed £40 for buying a house for the master of
the school, and other donations followed: Thomas
Genner by will dated 1756 left a house, the rent to
provide shoes and clothing for the poor scholars,
Robert Ellis left money, which was laid out on land
and 3/5 of the profits assigned to the schoolmaster
and 2/50 to the minister in 1763, and £120 given by
Joseph Ellis, Samuel Watts, and Thomas White was
also laid out in land for the support of the school
master in 1771. In 1827 the property belonging to
the charity school brought in an annual income
£40 19s. (fn. 29)
In the later 18th century children were admitted
and discharged from the charity school at quarterly
meetings, c. 13 being admitted each year. (fn. 30) The
school was said to be well inspected and conducted
c. 1775. (fn. 31) George Harmer who died in 1791 had
taught it for 44 years. (fn. 32) In 1826 the master was
expected to teach 40 children, although the actual
attendance was then 38. Three of the children were
then taught to read and write, the remainder only
to read, (fn. 33) but in 1836 rules for the school laid down
that 6 of the pupils should be taught writing and
arithmetic and that all the girls should learn needlework; the school was to take children between the
ages of 5 and 12. (fn. 34) It was affiliated to the National
Society before 1833. (fn. 35) In 1847 it comprised an
infants' school, with a separate schoolroom and a
salaried mistress, and a school for the older children
taught by the salaried master and unpaid helpers; a
Sunday school, started in 1824, and an evening
school were also being held. (fn. 36) A new school was
built in 1857. Half of its income then came from the
endowment and half from pence and voluntary
contributions. (fn. 37) The school had an average attendance of in in 1911 and 107 in 1936; (fn. 38) by 1960 the
attendance had fallen to c. 65 but new building in
the parish increased it to c. 125 by 1967. (fn. 39)
A Wesleyan Sunday school was started in 1804,
as mentioned above, and a Wesleyan day school was
started in 1827; in 1833 the day school had an
attendance of 36 and was supported by voluntary
contributions and payments by the children. (fn. 40) No
later record of it has been found.
16th Rep. Com. Char. 75–76.
16th Rep. Com. Char. 76–79.
||Glos. R.O., P 263/SC 1.
||Rudder, Glos. 619.
||Bigland, Glos. iii, no. 212.
16th Rep. Com. Char. 79.
||Glos. R.O., P 263/CH 2.
Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 324.
Church School Inquiry, 1846–7, 14–15; Educ. Enquiry
Bd. of Educ. List 21, 1911 (H.M.S.O.), 166; 1936, 123.
||Ex inf. the vicar.
Educ. Enquiry Abstract, 324.