List of illustrations

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

Alan Crossley, C R J Currie (Editors), A P Baggs, Eleanor Chance, Christina Colvin, C J Day, Nesta Selwyn, S C Townley

Year published

1996

Supporting documents

Pages

9-10

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of illustrations', A History of the County of Oxford: Volume 13: Bampton Hundred (Part One) (1996), pp. IX-X. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15904 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

For permission to reproduce pictures in their possession and for loan of photographic prints thanks are rendered to Berkshire Record Office, the Bodleian Library, the British Library, the President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford, the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies, Dr. J. Blair, and Mr. R. Rosewell.

Bampton: Bampton Castle. Reconstruction of the west front by J. Blair, based on Anthony Wood's drawing of 1664 and on surviving remains page 24
Bampton: the National school c. 1840. From a drawing in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. b 220, f. 244) page 59
Shifford: the chapel c. 1850. Unsigned drawing in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. b 90, no. 82) page 109
Plates between pages 104 and 105:
1. Bampton: the church in 1821. Drawing by J. C. Buckler in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. a 65, no. 66)
2. Bampton: Ham Court in 1821. Drawing by J. C. Buckler in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. a 65, no. 61)
3. Bampton: the market place and town hall c. 1900. Photograph by Henry Taunt in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
4. Bampton: the horse fair in 1904. Photograph by Henry Taunt in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
5. Bampton: High Street c. 1903. Photograph by Henry Taunt in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
6. Bampton: Broad Street c. 1915. Photograph by Henry Taunt in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
7. Bampton: the Deanery c. 1890. Photograph by Henry Taunt in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
8. Bampton: the grammar school and nearby malthouse in 1821. Drawing by J. C. Buckler in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. a 65, no. 64)
9. Bampton: Bampton Manor House c. 1900. Photograph by Henry Taunt in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
10. Bampton: Weald Manor in 1978. Photograph in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
11. Aston: the square and war memorial c. 1920. Postcard in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
12. Aston: Longs' cartworks and wheelwright's shop in the mid 20th century. Photograph in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
13. Cote: the Baptist chapel in the early 20th century. Photograph in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
14. Cote: Cote House in the early 20th century. Photograph in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
15. Lew: the church c. 1900. Photograph in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
16. Lew: design for remodelling Lew House c. 1909. Reproduced from Academy Architecture (1909) by permission of the British Library (shelfmark PP 1819)
17. Lew: the barrow. Photograph by J. Blair
18. Shifford: the deserted village from the chapel c. 1887. Photograph by Henry Taunt in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
19. Ducklington: the church, school, and pond c. 1890. Photograph by Henry Taunt in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
20. Ducklington: coronation celebrations in 1902. Photograph in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. b 78, f. 264)
21. Ducklington church: the north aisle. Etching reproduced from J. Skelton, Principal Antiquities of Oxon. (1823). Photographs of details by C. J. Day (1995)
22. Cokethorpe: Cokethorpe House c. 1895. Photograph by Henry Taunt in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
23. Cokethorpe: the chapel in 1824. Drawing by J. C. Buckler in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. a 66, no. 174)
24. Northmoor: the vicar's cottages in 1873. Drawing by William Langford in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. d 218, f. 197)
25. Cokethorpe: Fish House in 1901. Photograph in Magdalen College, Oxford (MS. 800 (ii), no. 30)
26. Northmoor: Manor Farm in 1964. Photograph by P. S. Spokes in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. c 495, no. 5211)
27. Northmoor: Rectory Farm in 1826. Drawing by J. C. Buckler in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. a 68, no. 403)
28. Northmoor: Newbridge and the Rose Revived public house c. 1890. Photograph in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
29. Northmoor: Bablock Hythe c. 1880. Photograph in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
30. Standlake: the church in 1821. Drawing by J. C. Buckler in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. a 68, no. 496)
31. Standlake: the north end of the village from the air, showing probable moated manor house sites. Photograph (1933) by Major G. W. G. Alien in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford
32. Standlake: Gaunt House in 1901. Photograph in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
33. Standlake: Gaunt Mill in 1979. Photograph in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
34. Standlake: the Green c. 1900. Photograph in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
35. Standlake: the village band outside the Golden Balls public house, Brighthampton, c. 1907. Photograph in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
36. Yelford: overmantel in Yelford Manor. Photograph in the Centre for Oxfordshire Studies
37. Yelford: Yelford Manor and the church in 1825. Drawing by J. C. Buckler in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. a 69, no. 643)
38. Yelford: Yelford Manor in the 1990s. Photograph by R. Rosewell
39. Yelford: the inclosed estate in 1625. Map in Berkshire Record Office (D/EL1 P2)
Standlake: the Hermitage in 1873. Drawing by William Langford in the Bodleian Library (MS. Top. Oxon. d 218, f. 244v.) page 179