CHARITIES FOR THE POOR. (fn. 16)
Weale, by will proved 1658, left land in
Standlake, a quarter of the rent to benefit the
Northmoor poor; (fn. 17) in 1738 Northmoor's share
was £1. Sir Edmund Warcupp left £20 by will
proved 1712, and Thomas Martin £5 by will
proved 1714, together used c. 1719 to buy c. 1
a., (fn. 18) which in 1738 yielded 25s. Francis White of
Fyfield (then Berks.), by will proved 1737, left
£100 to the Northmoor poor, used c. 1743 with
a bequest to Fyfield to buy land then worth £12
a year, of which one third went to Northmoor. (fn. 19)
St. John's College, Oxford, paid 40s. a year to
the poor by the earlier 17th century, perhaps
the 40s. awarded to the bishops of Oxford and
Salisbury at its appropriation of the rectory, (fn. 20)
and from 1673 lords of the manor paid 30s. a
year in lieu of extinguished common rights. (fn. 21) A
Scheme of 1897, confirming all those charities
as eleemosynary, was revised in 1917, when the
lord's 30s. was no longer mentioned. Total
income from eleemosynary charities in 1979 was
£40. (fn. 22)
||Based, except where stated, on Char. Don. 980-1; 8th Rep. Com. Char. 491-2; Secker's Visit, III.
||P.R.O., PROB 11/283, f. 401.
||Bodl. MSS. d.d. Harcourt c 74/29, c 74/39; O.R.O., MS. Wills Oxon. 208, f. 54v.; ibid. MS. d.d. Par. Northmoor c 3, item b.
||O.R.O., MS. d.d. Par. Northmoor c 3, item c.
||St. John's Coll. Mun., XV.1; ibid. ADMIN. 1. A.3, pp. 385-8.
||Above, econ. hist, [agric.].
||O.R.C.C., Kimber files.