List of illustrations

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

W.B. Stephens (Editor)

Year published

1969

Supporting documents

Pages

11-13

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of illustrations', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 8: The City of Coventry and Borough of Warwick (1969), pp. XI-XIII. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15997 Date accessed: 19 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

The following are thanked for permission to photograph and reproduce material in their possession and for the loan of negatives and prints: The Provost and Chapter of Coventry Cathedral, the Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, City Library, City Record Office, and Department of Architecture and Planning, Coventry, Birmingham Reference Library, National Monuments Record, Coventry Evening Telegraph, the editors of Cycling and Motor, Professor P. Johnson-Marshall, and Mr. S. R. Jones; Warwick Corporation, Warwickshire Record Office, Warwick Castle Estate Office, the Royal Institute of British Architects, the Warden and Fellows of All Souls College, Oxford, Country Life, Mrs. Eleanor Jebb, and Mr. L. Pritchard. Thanks are also due to Mr. B. H. Walters of the Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, Coventry, for help in obtaining photographs to illustrate the motor industry and to the various manufacturers acknowledged below.

THE CITY OF COVENTRY

The Churches of St. Michael and Holy Trinity from the North-east. Oil painting by David Gee, c. 1860. Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, Coventry frontispiece
Enthronement Procession in the Cathedral Ruins. The Times, 22 Feb. 1943 facing page 14
View from the Cathedral Tower. Coventry Evening Telegraph, c. 1941 " " 14
Lower Precinct. Phot. by V. Levett, Dept. of Architecture and Planning, Coventry, 1963 " " 15
View looking North-east from the Cathedral Tower. Phot. by V. Levett, Dept. of Architecture and Planning, Coventry, 1966 " " 15
Gateway at Cheylesmore Manor-house c. 1800. Water-colour in Birmingham Reference Library, Aylesford Collection, 'Seats, Castles, etc.'172 " " 22
Greyfriars Gate and Greyfriars Tower. From T. Pennant, Journey from Chester to London (1782) " " 22
Central Coventry from the South-west. Central Air Photo. Co., c. 1925 " " 23
Swanswell House c. 1800. Water-colour in Birmingham Reference Library, Aylesford Collection, 'Seats, Castles, etc.' 364 " " 88
Whitley Hall and Whitley Bridge c. 1800. Wash drawing in Birmingham Reference Library, Aylesford Collection, 'Seats, Castles, etc.' 728 " " 88
The Benedictine Priory " " 128
1. Remains of the North-west tower of the cathedral church c. 1808 Water-colour, probably by W. Freeman, in Birmingham Reference Library, Aylesford Collection, 'Seats, Castles, etc.' 204
2. Excavations in 1966. Phot. by Brian Hobley, Herbert Art Gallery and Museum Surviving Range of the Charterhouse. Phot. by Margaret Tomlinson, 1952 " " 129
The Free Grammar School, formerly St. John's Hospital, before 1794. Water-colour, probably by H. Jeayes, in Birmingham Reference Library, Aylesford Collection, 'Seats, Castles, etc.' 218 " " 129
Whitefriars " " 134
1. The West Front c. 1800. Water-colour in Birmingham Reference Library, Aylesford Collection, Misc. Vol. 31
2. Plan drawn in 1800. Birmingham Reference Library, Aylesford Collection, Misc. Vol. 29 Courtyard of Ford's Hospital. Engraving by W. F. Taunton, 1864, from B. Poole, History of Coventry " " 135
St. Mary's Hall before the Restoration of 1824. Water-colour in Birmingham Reference Library, Aylesford Collection, 'Seats, Castles, etc.' 274 " " 135
Sketches of Medieval Buildings by Nathaniel Troughton. Coventry Record Office " " 146
1. Great Butcher Row. Troughton Drawings ii. 24b
2. The hall at Bablake School. Troughton Drawings v. 7
3. Wealden houses, Spon Street. Troughton Drawings iii. 44
Palace Yard before the Second World War. Phot. by W. F. Taylor. National Monuments Record " " 147
No. 7 Little Park Street. Early-19th-century water-colour. Herbert Art Gallery and Museum " " 147
Workers' Housing I " " 150
1. Weavers' terrace in Cheylesmore. Phot. by Margaret Tomlinson, 1952
2. The cottage factory of J. and J. Cash. Phot. by Margaret Tomlinson, 1967 Workers' Housing II " " 151
1. Early-19th-century court behind Spon Street. Phot. by S. R. Jones, 1958
2-4. Watchmakers' houses, Chapel Fields. Phots. by Margaret Tomlinson, 1967
Cycle and Motor Cycle Manufacture facing page 176
1. Singer 'Xtraordinary' bicycle, 1878. Phot. Crown Copyright. Science Museum, London
2. Rudge 'Rotary' tricycle c. 1880. Phot. lent to Science Museum by Rudge-Whitworth, Coventry
3. J. K. Starley on the Rover safety bicycle of 1885. Phot. Cycling
4. Singer motor bicycle, 1901. Phot. Crown Copyright. Science Museum, London
5. Triumph motor bicycle, 1917. Science Museum, London
Machine-tool and Motor-vehicle Industries " " 177
1. Alfred Herbert Ltd., the original works c. 1890. Phot. Alfred Herbert Ltd.
2. Maudslay Motor Co., engine erecting shop c. 1910. Phot. Coventry City Library
3. Rover Co. Ltd., radiator making in the early 1920s. Phot. Rover Co. Ltd.
4. Alvis Car and Engineering Co., chassis erecting in the early 1930s. Phot. Alvis Ltd.
Motor-car Manufacture " " 186
1. Daimler wagonette, 1897. Phot. Herbert Art Gallery and Museum
2. Godiva car, 1901. Phot. Herbert Art Gallery and Museum
3. Humberette, 1914. Phot. Science Museum, London
4. Standard Big Nine, 1931. Phot. Standard-Triumph International Ltd.
5. Riley Nine 'Lynx', 1934. Herbert Art Gallery and Museum, phot. R. Sadler
6. Lea-Francis, 1948. Phot. from Motor by permission of Temple Press Ltd.
Lammas Day. Oil painting by David Gee, c. 1850. Herbert Art Gallery and Museum " " 199
The Godiva Procession in Bayley Lane. Oil painting by David Gee, 1867. Herbert Art Gallery and Museum " " 242
Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital. Engraving by W. F. Taunton, 1867, from B. Poole, History of Coventry " " 286
Coventry Cemetery in the mid 19th century. From J. Sibree and M. Caston, Independency in Warwickshire, grangerized copy in Coventry City Library " " 286
The Cathedral Church of St. Michael. Photo. by C. Birkett, 1935, reproduced by permission of the Provost and Chapter of Coventry Cathedral. National Monuments Record " " 354
The new Cathedral with an Orchestral Concert in progress. Phot. by R. Sadler, 1965, from H. C. N. Williams, Coventry Cathedral and its Ministry, reproduced by permission of the Provost and Chapter of Coventry Cathedral " " 354
The new Cathedral from the South-east. Phot. by R. Sadler, 1965 " " 355
St. Oswald's Church, Tile Hill. Phot. by Margaret Tomlinson, 1967 " " 355
Roman Catholic Church of St. Osburg. Engraving by W. F. Taunton, 1865, from B. Poole, History of Coventry " " 380
The Great Meeting, Smithford Street. Engraving of 1850 from J. Sibree and M. Caston, Independency in Warwickshire, grangerized copy in Coventry City Library " " 380
St. James's Church, Stivichall, c. 1800. Wash drawing in Birmingham Reference Library, Aylesford Collection, 'Churches', 203 " " 380
St. Michael's Church, Stoke, c. 1800. Wash drawing in Birmingham Reference Library, Aylesford Collection, 'Churches', 205 " " 380
Arms of Coventry. Drawn by Patricia A. Tattersfield page 416

THE BOROUGH OF WARWICK

Northgate Street with St. Mary's Church, Shire Hall, and Gaol. Engraving by W. Radclyffe, 1829, after a water-colour by David Cox, 1827. Warwickshire Record Office facing page 417
High Street from St. James's Chapel. Phot. by G. B. Mason, 1946. National Monuments Record " " 426
St. James's Chapel, the West Gate, and Lord Leicester's Hospital. Phot. by B. C. Clayton, 1929, reproduced by permission of B. T. Batsford Ltd. National Monuments Record " " 426
East Gate and St. Peter's Chapel. Engraving from Antiquarian and Topographical Cabinet, ix (1811) after a view of 1773. National Monuments Record " " 427
The Market Hall. From the note-book of Nicholas Hawksmoor, c. 1683. R.I.B.A. Library " " 427
Jury Street House before the early-19th-century alterations. Pen and wash drawing by the Revd. Thomas Ward, B.M. Add. MS 29264, f. 82 " " 427
Abbotsford and Shire Hall Extension. Phot. by Margaret Tomlinson, 1967 " " 434
The Court House. Phot. c. 1900. National Monuments Record " " 434
Warwick from the South-east. Aerofilms Ltd., 1949 " " 435
West Front of the Priory. From a sale catalogue of 1910. National Monuments Record " " 442
The Gas Works, Saltisford. Phot. by Margaret Tomlinson, 1967 " " 442
St. John's House in the 18th century. Pen and wash drawing by the Revd. Thomas Ward, B.M. Add. MS. 29264, f. 91 facing page 443
Guy's Cliffe House from the North. Lithograph by J. Brandard, c. 1850. Warwickshire Record Office " " 443
Warwick Castle " " 458
1. North-east Front. Oil painting at Warwick Castle by Canaletto, c. 1750
2. Air view from the South. Aerofilms Ltd., 1952
Francis Smith (1672-1738). Unsigned portrait in the possession of Warwick Corporation Phot. Country Life, 1951 " " 514
Joseph Parkes (1796-1865). Portrait by W. T. Roden in the possession of Mrs. Eleanor Jebb Phot. c. 1868 in Victoria and Albert Museum, London " " 514
Thomas Oken's Chest. Phot. Country Life, 1951 " " 514
A Court behind the Market Place. Phot. by G. B. Mason, 1946. National Monuments Record " " 515
William Glover and Sons, Ltd. Advertisement from Kelly's Dir. Warws. (1900) " " 515
St. Mary's Church before the Fire of 1694. Wren. Soc. X, pl. 14. From an original drawing in the Wren collection reproduced by courtesy of the Warden and Fellows of All Souls College, Oxford " " 528
Church Street and St. Mary's Church. Lithograph by J. Brandard, c. 1840. Phot. from Mr. L. Pritchard " " 528
Arms of Warwick. Drawn by Patricia A. Tattersfield page 555