Committee of the Privy Council for trade and plantations 1786-1870
Corn department

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

J.C. Sainty

Year published

1974

Supporting documents

Pages

65-66

Citation Show another format:

'Committee of the Privy Council for trade and plantations 1786-1870: Corn department', Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 3: Officials of the Boards of Trade 1660-1870 (1974), pp. 65-66. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=16805 Date accessed: 24 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Corn Department

Receiver and Comptroller of Corn Returns 1821-65

In 1770 the Treasury was given statutory authority to appoint a Receiver of Corn Returns. (fn. 3) In 1821 the responsibility for these returns was transferred to the Board of Trade together with the right to appoint the Receiver. (fn. 4) In 1827 the title of the office was changed to Comptroller of Corn Returns and the right of appointment vested nominally in the crown. (fn. 5) In 1865 the Corn Department was abolished and the office of Comptroller combined with that of Superintendent of the Statistical Department. (fn. 6)

In 1821 Dowding, who had held office under the Treasury, was reappointed with a salary of £800. (fn. 7) In 1822 the salary scale was assimilated to that of a First Class Clerk in the General Department: £700 rising by annual increments of £10 to £800. (fn. 8) The salary was fixed at £600 in 1842 and reduced to £500 in 1851. (fn. 9)

1821 24 July Dowding, W.
1822 17 July Jacob, W.
1842 5 Jan. Joyce, G.
1851 Jadis, H. F.

Deputy Receiver and Comptroller of Corn Returns 1821-65

This office, originally known as that of Principal Clerk of Corn Returns, was created in 1821 with a salary of £300. (fn. 10) In 1822 the salary scale was assimilated to that of a Senior (Second Class) Clerk in the General Department: £300 rising by annual increments of £10 to £500. (fn. 11) It was fixed at £500 rising by annual increments of £10 to £550 in 1842, at £450 rising by annual increments of £10 to £500 in 1843 and at £400 in 1851. (fn. 1) The office was abolished in 1865. (fn. 2)

1821 24 July Joyce, G.
1842 5 Jan. Lack, E. J.
1843 11 May Jadis, H. F.
1851 Bunter, F.

Clerks 1821-53

In 1821 provision was made for one Clerk in the Corn Department apart from the Deputy Receiver or Principal Clerk. The salary was then fixed at £90. (fn. 3) In the following year it was assimilated to that of a Junior (Third Class) Clerk in the General Department: £100 rising after three years by annual increments of £10 to £300. (fn. 4) About the same time a second Clerk was appointed. (fn. 5) The number was increased to three in 1842 but reduced to two in 1848 and to one in 1850. (fn. 6) In 1853 the remaining Clerk was incorporated into the ordinary establishment of the Board as a Junior Clerk. (fn. 7)

1821 24 July Jadis, H. F.
1822 Nedham, W. T.
1825 26 Jan. Lack, F.
1827 12 July Carey, J.
1829 26 Jan. Rawson, R. W.
1834 31 Jan. Joyce, G.
1842 5 Jan. Jadis, H. F.
1842 13 July Blair, W. E.
1843 10 Aug. Lack, E. J.

Footnotes

3 10 Geo. III, c 39, s 6. The earlier holders of the office were William Cooke 1770-8, John Barnes 1778-9, John James Catherwood 1779-1813 and William Dowding 1813-21. For the organisation of the office during this period, see TM 25 May 1813 (T 29/123 pp. 359-61).
4 1 & 2 Geo. IV, c 87, s 4; BT 5/29 pp. 381-4.
5 7 & 8 Geo. IV, c 58, s 3.
6 27 & 28 Vict., c 87; BT 13/1, Board of Trade to Treasury, 23 Nov. 1864; Ind. 20470 no. 4.
7 BT 5/29 pp. 381-4.
8 BT 5/30 pp. 325-6, 406.
9 BT 5/50, 5 Jan. 1842; HC 238 p. 12 (1852) xxix, 326.
10 BT 5/29 pp. 381-4.
11 BT 5/30 pp. 325-6.
1 BT 5/50, 5 Jan. 1842; BT 5/51, 11 May 1843; HC 238 p. 12 (1852) xxix, 326.
2 BT 13/1, Board of Trade to Treasury, 23 Nov. 1864; BT 5/73, 20 May 1865.
3 BT 5/29 pp. 381-4.
4 BT 5/30 pp. 182-4, 406.
5 The appointment of a second Clerk was authorised in the establishment of 1822 (ibid.). The appointment was probably made in that year although it is not until 1824 that such a Clerk occurs in office (Royal Kal. (1824), 135).
6 BT 5/50, 13 July 1842; BT 5/57, 24 Feb. 1848; HC 268 p. 13 (1849) xxxi, 327; HC 211 p. 12 (1851) xxxii, 326; BT 3/41 pp. 89-93.
7 Royal Kal. (1854), 160.