Institute of Historical Research
Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 8: Foreign Office Officials 1782-1870
'Clerk attached to Consular Department 1826-68', Office-Holders in Modern Britain: Volume 8: Foreign Office Officials 1782-1870 (1979), pp. 37. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=16881 Date accessed: 25 October 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
Clerk attached to Consular Department
The business of the Consular Department was normally conducted by established
Clerks. In the years 1826-39, however, a Supplementary Clerk was attached to the
Department. The salary, payable out of the contingent fund, was fixed at £100 in
1826, increased to £125 in 1830 and to £150 in 1834, and again reduced to £100 in
1835. In 1839 provision was made for the Clerk's salary to increase by annual increments of £10 to £150. (fn. 1) In 1860 an official described as a 'Supplemental Junior Clerk'
was attached to the Department to keep the consular accounts at a salary of £150
rising by annual increments of £15 to £300. (fn. 2) The Clerk was placed in the new grade
of Second Class Supplementary Clerk in 1865 with a salary of £250 rising by annual
increments of £15 to £360. (fn. 3) The office was discontinued in 1868 when the duty of
keeping the consular accounts was transferred to the Chief Clerk's Department.
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd