List of illustrations

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

D.A. Crowley (Editor)

Year published

2002

Supporting documents

Pages

9-12

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'List of illustrations', A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 17: Calne (2002), pp. IX-XII. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18024 Date accessed: 30 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LIST OF ILLUSTRATIONS

Thanks are rendered to the following for permission to reproduce material: Calne Town Council; Chrysalis Books Group; the Conway Library, Courtauld Institute of Art, for photographs of paintings by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum; English Heritage for material in the National Monuments Record and for photographs taken in 2001; the Georgian Group; Mr. A. F. Kersting; the marquess of Lansdowne for the painting on wood in Bowood House; Mr. J. S. Reis; Canon M. H. Ridgway; Mr. P. Q. Treloar; Wiltshire County Council. Material in Wiltshire Heritage Museum is reproduced by kind permission of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society.

Calne: the interior of Christchurch, Derry Hill, looking east. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA012127, 2001 page xxii
Berwick Bassett: St. Nicholas's church from the south-east. Watercolour by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum, 1807 " 16
Blackland: St. Peter's church from the south-east. Watercolour by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum, 1806 " 26
Calne: Thomas Harris's bacon factory in 1887. Line drawing in a reprint from the Royal Album of Arts and Industries in Wiltshire and Swindon Record Office: W.R.O. 2140/119 " 42

Plates between pages 74 and 75

1. Calne: St. Mary's church from the north-west. Drawing by I. Shaw, engraved by Robert Groom and printed by C. Moody, 1848. From a print in the possession of Mr. P. Q. Treloar
2. Calne: the interior of St. Mary's church, looking west from the chancel. Drawing by I. Shaw, engraved by Robert Groom and printed by C. Moody, 1848. From a print in the possession of Mr. P. Q. Treloar
3. Calne: the market house and town hall demolished in 1882. Photograph in the possession of Mr. P. Q. Treloar
4. Calne: the town hall opened in 1886. Early 20th-century photograph, P16476, Wiltshire County Council, Libraries and Heritage
5. Calne: the Strand, looking northwards along High Street. Drawing by C. J. Greenwood, engraved by Greenwood and printed by S. Straker c. 1850. From a print in Wiltshire Heritage Museum
6. Calne: the north part of the Green. Photograph of c. 1960 (CLN77 in Francis Frith Collection), Wiltshire County Council, Libraries and Heritage
7. Calne: the north-east side of the Green. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA017541, 2001
8. Calne: High Street, looking south. Photograph of c. 1955 (CLN53 in Francis Frith Collection), Wiltshire County Council, Libraries and Heritage
9. Calne: the north-west part of Church Street (the old Butcher Row). Early 20th-century photograph, P16538, Wiltshire County Council, Libraries and Heritage
10. Calne: the market in the Strand. Photograph of c. 1904, P13374, Wiltshire County Council, Libraries and Heritage
11. Calne: New Road, with the library built in 1904-5 and the factory built in 1920. Photograph of 1983, P12662, Wiltshire County Council, Libraries and Heritage
12. Calne: Kerry Crescent, built in the late 19th century off New Road. Photograph of 1983, P12661, Wiltshire County Council, Libraries and Heritage
13. Calne: terraced houses built c. 1906 in Wessington Avenue. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA012253, 2001
14. Calne: later 20th-century bungalows on the west edge of the town. Photograph, P990, Wiltshire County Council, Libraries and Heritage
15. Calne: Woodlands, built off New Road c. 1870, demolished in 1983. Photograph in the possession of Mr. P. Q. Treloar
16. Calne: St. Dunstan's, built in New Road and moved to Lickhill Road. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA024045, 2001.
17. Calne: London Road, looking north-west. Photograph of c. 1955 (CLN17 in Francis Frith Collection), Wiltshire County Council, Libraries and Heritage
18. Calne: the Lansdowne Arms. Photograph of c. 1960 (CLN87 in Francis Frith Collection), Wiltshire County Council, Libraries and Heritage
19. Calne: Tounson's almshouse, built in the late 17th century near the church. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA017537, 2001
20. Calne: the Calne union workhouse, built off the Bristol road c. 1847. Photograph in the possession of Mr. P. Q. Treloar
21. Calne: the south front of Rumsey House at Studley. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA024159, 2001
22. Heddington: the south-east front of Splatts House. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA026367, 2001
23. Calstone Wellington: Manor Farm, dated 1876. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA026469, 2001
24. Calne: Scott's Farm at Stockley, dated 1872. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA026471, 2001
25. Cherhill: the 14th-century barn, demolished in 1956. Photograph by F. H. Crossley, 1908; copyright M. H. Ridgway
26. Cherhill and Calstone Wellington: the white horse cut c. 1780 and the monument built c. 1845. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA024166, 2001
Calne: pig singeing apparatus manufactured by E. W. Maundrell. Line drawing reproduced from P. Q. Treloar, Around Calne in Old Photographs, 148 page 86
Calne: Lower mill at Quemerford c. 1900. Line drawing on a letterhead in the possession of Mr. P. Q. Treloar " 89
Calne: the 18th-century loving cup given to the borough in 1860. Drawing by E. H. Goddard, published in 1896 in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, xxviii, at p. 33 " 96
Calne: the parish workhouse. Print from a drawing, possibly of c. 1760 by J. Crane, in the collection of Calne Town Council " 99
Calne: the north doorway of St. Mary's church. Watercolour by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum, 1803 " 104
Calne: St. Mary's church from the south-east. Watercolour by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum, 1803 " 105
Calne: the south arcade of St. Mary's church. Watercolour by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum, 1803 " 106
Calne: plan of St. Mary's church c. 1900. Drawn by (Sir) Harold Brakspear, based on a plan drawn by B. Ingelow, and published in A. E. W. Marsh, A History of the Borough and Town of Calne, at p. 152 " 107
Bowood: Bowood House from the south-west. Watercolour by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum, 1806 " 119
Calstone Wellington: St. Mary's church from the north-east. Watercolour by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum, 1806 " 134

Plates between pages 138 and 139

27. Compton Bassett: the 15th-century rood screen in St. Swithun's church. Photograph by B. C. Clayton; copyright Chrysalis Books Group
28. Compton Bassett: St. Swithun's church from the north-east. Crown copyright. National Monuments Record. Photograph, BB018539, by Gordon Barnes, 1972
29. Bowood: Bowood House as built c. 1727 and viewed from the south. From a painting on wood in Bowood House
30. Bowood: Bowood House from the south c. 1760. Drawing in the Pardoe Collection of the Georgian Group, London
31. Bowood: Bowood House, the Big House on the eve of demolition. Crown copyright. National Monuments Record. Photograph, AA55/2353, by H. Felton, 1955
32. Bowood: Bowood House, the Diocletian wing from the south-west. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA023482, 2001
33. Bowood: the Golden Gate, built at Derry Hill c. 1841. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA024494, 2001
34. Bowood: the mausoleum, built in the park c. 1765. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA023468, 2001
35. Bowood: Kennels Lodge, at an entrance to the park of Bowood House. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA023470, 2001
36. Bowood: the boathouse in the park of Bowood House. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA023454, 2001
37. Bowood: cottages at Derry Hill, near the Golden Gate. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA012128, 2001
38. Calne: the chimneypiece moved from Castle House to no. 3 Market Hill. Crown copyright. National Monuments Record. Photograph, AA65/283, by R. F. Wills, 1965
39. Bowood: Bowood House, the dining room in the Big House on the eve of demolition. Photograph by A. F. Kersting, 1955
40. Calne: the south front of Whetham House. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA024499, 2001
41. Blackland: the north front of Blackland House. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA026462, 2001
42. Calne: Christchurch, built at Derry Hill in 1839-40. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA012126, 2001
43. Calne: Holy Trinity church, built at Quemerford in 1852-3. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA017538, 2001
44. Heddington: Splatts House, and the Buddhist pagoda built in 1989. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA026368, 2001
45. Calne: the church of St. Mary and St. Nicholas built at Sandy Lane in 1892. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA012132, 2001
46. Compton Bassett: Cumberwell Cottages, built in the mid 19th century. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA024170, 2001
47. Calne: estate cottages built at Studley in 1868. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA012135, 2001
48. Calne: estate cottages built at Studley in 1892. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA012139, 2001
49. Berwick Bassett: the north front of the Old Farmhouse. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA027669, 2001
50. Cherhill: the south front of Tudor Cottage. Crown copyright. English Heritage. Photograph, AA026457, 2001
51. Compton Bassett: the east front of Manor Farm. Photograph by D. R. Parker, 1990; copyright J. S. Reis
52. Compton Bassett: Compton Bassett House, demolished in the early 1930s, the north front. Reproduced by permission of English Heritage. National Monuments Record. Photograph, BB72/4278, by F. Marsh, 1917
Cherhill: St. James's church from the south-east. Watercolour by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum, 1806 page 145
Compton Bassett: St. Swithun's church from the north-east. Watercolour by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum, 1806 " 158
Heddington: St. Andrew's church from the north-east. Watercolour by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum, 1806 " 170
Yatesbury: All Saints' church from the south-east. Watercolour by John Buckler in Wiltshire Heritage Museum, 1806 " 180


<--Previous:
List of maps
Next:-->
Foreword