LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND PUBLIC
Ketley was subject to the court
baron of Leegomery (fn. 83) and remained so in 1806. (fn. 84)
The duke of Sutherland had a pound near Ketley
town in 1842. (fn. 85) In 1590 Ketley was in the leet
jurisdiction of Bradford hundred. (fn. 86)
The township (except for the part in Wombridge parish) was in Wellington civil parish until
1894, Wellington poor-law union 1836-1930,
Wrekin highway district 1865-82, and Wellington
rural sanitary district 1872-94. In 1894 it became
part of Wellington Rural C.P. and Wellington
rural district. (fn. 87) At Ketley Bank a small area was
transferred to Oakengates C.P. and urban district
in 1934, (fn. 88) and in 1966 the southern part of the
township, including Overdale and the Rock, was
transferred to Dawley C.P. and U.D. (fn. 89) In 1974
Dawley and Oakengates U.D.s and Wellington
R.D. were dissolved, their areas becoming part of
the district of the Wrekin. (fn. 90) In 1976 the surviving
part of Wellington Rural C.P., which lay mostly
in Ketley township, was renamed Ketley. (fn. 91) The
part of the township taken into Dawley C.P. and
U.D. in 1966 had been included in 1963 in the
designated area of Dawley new town, (fn. 92) and in
1968 the whole township was included in that of
Telford. (fn. 93)
Before 1897 many inhabitants drew water from
Ketley spout, a pure spring near Ketley Dingle,
and from Mosseygreen pool, a polluted pond.
The former was superseded (fn. 94) in 1897 when Wellington U.D.C. extended a main eastwards along
Watling Street to Beveley. (fn. 95) At first only houses
on the main road benefited (fn. 96) but by 1912 the
U.D.C. system also included Ketley town and
Ketleyhill. From 1909 Dawley U.D.C. supplied
Wellington R.D.C. with water for Mannerley
Lane and the Rock, (fn. 97) an arrangement that eventually covered the rest of the old township. (fn. 98) Main
sewerage was first provided in 1938 when Wellington R.D.C. completed a scheme that connected the township to the Hadley disposal
works. (fn. 99) In 1952 Wellington Rural parish council
opened a cemetery at Redlake. (fn. 1) There was a
sub-post office by 1851. (fn. 2)
||Staffs. R.O., D. 593/J/11/6/1, ct. r.; above, Wellington,
||Staffs. R.O., D. 593/J/11/6/5, ct. r.
||S.R.O. 14, tithe appt. and map (no. 751).
||P.R.O., SC 2/197/96.
||Above, Wellington, intro.; Local Govt.
Salop Review Order, 1934 (Min. of Health order no. 77933); O.S. Map 6", SJ 61 SE. (1954 edn.).
Salop Order 1966 (Min. of Ho. & Local Govt. order no. 22958); O.S. Map Referred to in The Salop Order 1966 (copy
in S.R.O. 2981, parcel VI).
Census, 1971, Rep. for Co. of Salop as constituted on 1st Apr. 1974, 2.
||S.C.C. Planning Dept. file no. 051001, Wrekin District Council sec. to co. sec. 15 July 1976.
Dawley New Town (Designation) Order 1963 (Stat. Instr.
1963, no. 64), accompanying map (copy in S.R.O. 2981,
Dawley New Town (Designation) Amendment (Telford)
Order 1968 (Stat. Instr. 1968, no. 1912), map accompanying
S.C.C. Mins. Sanitary Cttee. rep. 31 Jan. 1903, 95-6.
||Ibid. 1897-8, 589.
||Ibid. 31 Jan. 1903, 94.
S.C.C. Mins. Suppl. Rep. on Water Supplies of Pars. of
Wellington Rural and Hadley, 28 June 1912, 2-3.
||A. H. S. Waters, Rep. on Water Supplies (S.C.C. 1946),
||S.R.O., DA 26/100/6, pp. 184-5; /100/7, p. 448.
||S.R.O., DA 26/134 (S.R.O. 3070/11/15), file 297, clk. of
R.D.C. to Min. of Health & Local Govt. 16 Dec. 1952.
||S. Bagshaw, Dir. Salop. (1851), 438-9.