Richard Reynolds built a school
at Ketley in the late 18th century, probably the
Sunday school that in 1786 had 300 places. (fn. 65) A
private school at Coalpit Bank was run by Robert
Pocock from 1830, or earlier, until his death in
1858. Colliers' children, however, depended on
Sunday schools, one of the largest in the district
being that held by the Primitive Methodists in
Pocock's school: it had 500-700 pupils in 1841. (fn. 66)
Ketley Parochial (later National) School, with
200 places, was opened in 1842 at the 2nd duke of
Sutherland's expense. The slated brick building
at Redlake, near the new St. Mary's church, was
probably designed by Charles Barry (fn. 67) and had
three classrooms; there was also a teacher's house.
Annual income in 1849 was £80: £20 in fees, the
rest from the duke, who largely maintained the
school. The master and his wife were jointly
salaried at £60 and half the fees. From 1865 or
earlier there were government grants. By 1870 it
was called a National school; there were then
boys', girls', and infant departments, but by 1885
only mixed and infant. Attendance averaged c. 150
in 1851, 223 in 1885, and 153 in 1895. (fn. 68) In 1895
the school closed, probably because of the cost of
repairs and improvements. It passed to the school
board, which reopened it in 1896 as Ketley
National Board School, and it continued in existence until 1898. (fn. 69)
Ketley Board School, Holyhead Road, with
mixed and infant departments, was opened in
1898 to replace the National Board School. (fn. 70) In
1905 a new infant school and teacher's house were
built nearby. The mixed school was then adapted
for older pupils; in 1907 it had 306 places, the
infant school 236. (fn. 71) Attendance in 1909 averaged
290 mixed pupils, 180 infants. (fn. 72) In 1931 the
former mixed school was used for the new Ketley
Senior Council School (240 places), the former
infant school for Ketley Junior Mixed and Infant
Council School (230 places). That year the old
National school was rented and adapted for temporary use as a domestic subjects centre, and in
1934 a room in the senior school was converted to
a science laboratory. (fn. 73) Overcrowding in the 1950s
in Ketley Primary School (fn. 74) (so called since 1945) (fn. 75)
was relieved in 1958 when the seniors left their
building for a new secondary modern school. (fn. 76)
The juniors transferred to a new junior school in
1967, when the old school became Ketley County
Infant School (fn. 77) and the building of 1905 was
converted to a nursery unit, the first to be
attached to a Shropshire infant school. (fn. 78) In 1980
the infant school had only 109 pupils. (fn. 79)
Ketley Town County Junior School, Riddings
Close, with 320 places, opened in 1966 and
admitted pupils from Ketley County Junior
School. In 1980 there were 226 pupils. (fn. 80)
||R. F. Skinner, Nonconformity in Salop. (Shrews. 1964),
37 n., 39 n.
||J. E. G. Cartlidge, The Vale and Gates of Usc-con
(Congleton, ), 78, 103; S.R.O. 3038/6/1; 1st Rep. Com.
Child. Emp. App. Pt. I , pp. 39-40, 83, H.C. (1842),
||Inf. from Mr. D. Blissett.
||S. Bagshaw, Dir. Salop. (1851), 438; P.R.O., ED 7/103,
f. 118; Rep. of Educ. Cttee. of Council , pp. 84-5, H.C.
(1866), xxvii; P.O. Dir. Salop. (1870), 70; Kelly's Dir. Salop.
(1885), 868; (1895), 109.
||S.R.O. 4005/3, pp. 1, 20-1, 42-3, 54-5. Evelyn J. Green, 'Development of Educ. in the Oakengates Dist. of Salop. betw. 1830 and 1902' (Liverpool Univ. M.Ed. dissertation, 1975), 52. No early record of the receipt of a Nat. Soc. grant exists. A Nat. Soc. letter to the incumbent (1907) described the schs. as 'estate' schs. belonging to the duke of Sutherland.
||S.R.O. 4005/1, p. 1.
||Ibid. p. 140; S.C.C. Mins. 1903-4, 219; ibid. (Educ.)
1905-6, 84; 1906-7, 143.
Kelly's Dir. Salop. (1909), 119.
S.C.C. Mins. (Educ.) 1930-1, 67; 1931-2, 12; 1932-3,
33; 1933-34, 86.
||Inf. from S.C.C. Educ. Dept.
||Below, Hadley, Educ.; inf. from the headmaster.
||Inf. from the headmistress.
||Ketley Co. Inf. Sch. log bk. (at the sch.) 5 Oct. 1967.
||S.C.C. Educ. Cttee. Educ. Dir. (1980), 10.
||Ibid.; inf. from S.C.C. Educ. Dept. and the