Newdale School was established
by the Coalbrookdale Co. before 1818, when it
had 89 pupils with 14 more on Sundays. The
rectangular brick building, with tiled roof and
wooden floors, contained a large schoolroom, a
classroom, and an entrance lobby. In 1865 the
buildings were in good repair and attendance
averaged 60. The curate of Lawley managed the
school but government grants were paid through
the company, which defrayed the school's expenses and allocated the annual income (£16 in
voluntary contributions and £15 in fees) to the
mistress. Company employees' children paid 1d. a
week, those of the Ketley Co.'s 2d., and others
3d. (fn. 36) The school closed and its pupils transferred
in 1877 to the new school built by the Wellington
school board, (fn. 37) in whose area Lawley was included
in 1872. (fn. 38)
Lawley Bank Wesleyan School was established
in 1868 in a building of c. 1800 owned by the
Coalbrookdale Co., which charged £1 rent. The
first quarter's income comprised £13 15s. in
voluntary contributions and £15 9s. 10d. in fees of
2d. or 3d. a week according to the pupil's class;
five children were free. The master received £11
9s. 6d. for the quarter, the sewing mistress £1 9s.
9d. (fn. 39) The school, though well attended and very
efficient, was in bad repair in 1873, when the
trustees accepted the school board's offer to take it
over. The board agreed to pay £10 a year rent
and, though the school was to continue only
temporarily, to spend £200 on repairs. The Wesleyans were allowed use on Sundays and for
evening meetings and the master was allowed to
hold an evening school. (fn. 40) By 1875 the day school
was so overcrowded that admission was refused to
children from outside Wellington parish. In 1876,
with a maximum attendance at the annual inspection, H.M. Inspector had to examine pupils in the
playground for want of space indoors. The school
closed in 1876, pupils transferring to the new
board school in 1877. (fn. 41)
Lawley Board School, built on the same plan as
Hadley's (fn. 42) but with 274 places, (fn. 43) opened with 78
mixed pupils and 20 infants in 1877. (fn. 44) The school
admitted pupils from Newdale School and Lawley Bank Wesleyan Board School. (fn. 45) Mixed and
infant departments were combined in 1884 (fn. 46) after
the building was altered. (fn. 47) Attendance averaged
200 in 1885, 160 in 1891, 200 in 1909, and 220 in
1913. (fn. 48) H. M. Inspectors' reports, received
annually until 1903, were excellent and the night
school established in 1878 was also efficient. From
1878 the Science and Art Department's annual
drawing reports were consistently favourable. (fn. 49)
The school continued as an all-age school until
1956, when seniors transferred to a new secondary
modern school. (fn. 50) In 1980 Lawley County Primary
School (142 pupils), (fn. 51) used the original building,
by then improved, and demountable classrooms.
Digest Educ. Poor, H.C. 224, pp. 761, 767 (1819), ix (2);
P.R.O., ED 7/103, ff. 149-50, stating (1865) that the sch. had
been established for 50-100 yrs.
||Lawley Bd. Sch. log bk. (at Lawley Co. Primary Sch.).
||Above, Wellington, Educ.
||P.R.O., ED 7/103, f. 120 and v.
Wellington Jnl. 9 Aug., 11 Oct. 1873 (bd. mtg. reps.).
||Lawley Bd. Sch. log bk. 17 Mar. 1875; 14 July 1876; 15
Wellington Jnl. 11 Dec. 1875 (bd. mtg. rep.).
Kelly's Dir. Salop. (1885), 871.
||Log bk. 15 Jan. 1877.
||Ibid. rep. 1877.
||Ibid. 22 Apr. 1884.
||Ibid. rep. 1884.
Kelly's Dir. Salop. (1885, 1891, 1909, 1913).
||Log bk. 14 Oct. 1878 and passim.
S.C.C. Mins. (Educ.) 1955-6, 279; above, Dawley, Educ.
||S.C.C. Educ. Cttee. Educ. Dir. (1980), 10.