Wombridge
Charities for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

G C Baugh, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, D C Cox, Jessie McFall, P A Stamper, A J L Winchester

Year published

1985

Supporting documents

Page

306

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Wombridge: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 11: Telford (1985), pp. 306. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18186 Date accessed: 17 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.

Wombridge.

One pound a year from James Rushbury's legacy (1718) to the church was to be devoted to the poor of Wombridge. In the later 18th century 16s. was paid out each year, but by c. 1803 payments had ceased. (fn. 82)

W. H. Rushton's charity, established in 1890, produced an income of £6 from stock in 1975, used to buy clothing for widows.

Priorslee.

Priorslee benefited in 1975 from Shifnal united charities and from two charities confined to Priorslee ecclesiastical parish. Samuel Horton, the Priorslee ironmaster (d. 1865), left £300 stock for widows. In 1975 the charity's income was £14.

The charity of William Slaney Lewis, established in 1888, yielded £3 in 1975, spent on blankets and clothing for widows. (fn. 83)

Footnotes

82 9th Rep. Com. Char. H.C. 258, pp. 324-5 (1823), ix; 24th Rep. Com. Char. H.C. 231, p. 371 (1831), xi; above, Churches.
83 Review of Local Chars. (S.C.C. 1975), 67; Cartlidge and Kidson, Hist. Priors Lee, p. xv.


<--Previous:
Wombridge:
Education
Next:-->
Wrockwardine