From 1859 the newly
built private chapel of Thomas Gaisford at Offington House was used for Roman Catholic public
worship. In 1862 the Sisters of Notre Dame de
Sion established a temporary convent in North
Street whose chapel became the main place of
Roman Catholic worship, and in 1864 the church
of St. Mary of the Angels and a permanent convent
were opened on adjoining sites in Richmond and
Crescent roads. (fn. 77) Under James Purdon, priest from
1870 to 1923, the church and its congregation
expanded greatly. A parish was formed in 1918, and
in 1938 there was an average Sunday morning
attendance of c. 1,500. (fn. 78)
The church, designed by H. Clutton, (fn. 79) is of red
brick in Gothic style. A tower, chancel, and transept
were added in 1873, and another transept and chapel
in 1882, mainly at the expense of T. Gaisford of
Offington. In 1900 a new aisle and baptistry were
added at the expense of Lady Loder. (fn. 80)
The parish of St. Michael, Durrington, was
formed in 1927, and a chapel was built in Cotswold
Road in 1938. It moved to Hayling Rise c. 1966 and
was served from Worthing c. 1976. (fn. 81)
The parish of St. Charles was formed in 1958,
and a church and presbytery were built on the
corner of Chesswood and Ham roads in 1962. (fn. 82)
Cath. dir.(1863),158, 228; ibid.(1864),209; Bread's Guide Worthing (1865), 15, 83; Royal Guide, 24; Worthing Suru. 229-30.
Worthing Surv. 230–2.
Breads's Guide Worthing (1865), 15.
Royal Guide, 24; Worthing Surv. 230.
Cath. Dir. (1951), 358; ibid. (1977), 82.
||Ibid. (1977), 92.