Long time user?
Victoria County History
A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 1: Bramber Rape (Southern Part)
T P Hudson (Editor), A P Baggs, C R J Currie, C R Elrington, S M Keeling, A M Rowland
Note on abbreviations
Comment on this articleDouble click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line
'Patching Hundred', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 1: Bramber Rape (Southern Part) (1980), pp. 184. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18248 Date accessed: 26 July 2014.
(Min 3 characters)
In 1086 Patching was listed under Rieberge (later Poling) hundred. (fn. 1) It was
presumably removed with West Tarring to Loxfield hundred (in Pevensey rape)
by the archbishops of Canterbury in the early 13th century, since it was listed as
part of that in 1296 and 1327. (fn. 2) It presumably formed part of Tarring bailiwick
in 1368. (fn. 3) In 1524 it was part of the archbishop's liberty in Bramber rape, (fn. 4) but by
1572 it had become a separate hundred, (fn. 5) as it remained thereafter. (fn. 6) The hundred was
co-extensive with Patching manor, (fn. 7) and its courts and officers are described under
Patching parish below.
Double-click menu [ Cancel ]
- Contact us -
Version 4.0 | November 2013
© 2014 University of London & History of Parliament Trust
Design - Crave Ltd