Sullington
Local government

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T P Hudson (Editor), A P Baggs, C R J Currie, C R Elrington, S M Keeling, A M Rowland

Year published

1986

Supporting documents

Page

27

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Sullington: Local government', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 2: Bramber Rape (North-Western Part) including Horsham (1986), pp. 27. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18290 Date accessed: 23 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LOCAL GOVERNMENT.

Sullington parish probably coincided with Sullington tithing; the part of Clayton lying in Thakeham tithing in 1538 may have been in Washington parish. (fn. 14)

Court books of Sullington manor survive for the years 1452-4, and extracts of court rolls for isolated years in the 17th and 18th centuries. No business other than conveyancing is known. (fn. 15) In 1794 the court was held at Roundabouts. (fn. 16) Its jurisdiction extended over tenements in nine other parishes. (fn. 17) Court books of Broadbridge manor survive for the earlier 19th century and abstracts from 1672. The jurisdiction covered lands in Horsham, Sullington, and Warnham. Poundkeepers were appointed in the 19th century. (fn. 18)

There were two churchwardens and an overseer in 1641. (fn. 19) Two churchwardens and two overseers were nominated in 1835. (fn. 20) A road board appointed by the vestry was meeting in a private house in 1870. (fn. 21)

Sullington joined Thakeham united parishes in 1788; three guardians for the parish were appointed early the next year. (fn. 22) In 1835 some paupers were being paid to emigrate. (fn. 23)

Sullington became part of Thakeham union in 1835, (fn. 24) Thakeham rural district in 1894, Chanctonbury rural district in 1933, (fn. 25) and Horsham district in 1974.

Footnotes

14 S.R.S. x. 158; lvi. 67-8; P.R.O., E 179/189/42, rot. 11; E 179/258/14, ff. 5-6; Arundel Cast. MS. M 279, rott. 1d.-2.
15 Arundel Cast. MS. M 530, ff. 40v., [78], 87v.; E.S.R.O., SAS/DN 115, 125.
16 E.S.R.O., SAS/DN 137 (TS. cat.)
17 Ibid. SAS/DN 115, 122, 124, 127, 143-4; W.S.R.O., Add. MS. 246, rot. 2d.
18 Ct. bks. and index in possession of Messrs. Cotching & Son, Horsham.
19 S.R.S. v. 172-3.
20 W.S.R.O., Par. 190/31/1, f. 41.
21 Ibid. f. 85.
22 Ibid. WG 4/1, pp. 2-3.
23 W.S.R.O., Par. 190/31/1, f. 43 and v.
24 1st Rep. Poor Law Com. H. C. 500, p. 233 (1835), xxxv.
25 Youngs, Local Admin. Units, i. 523.