were named as recusants in 1582, (fn. 44) and one papist
was listed in Ifield in 1767. (fn. 45)
In 1859 Italian Capuchin Franciscan friars were
invited to the parish by the Hon. Mrs. Montgomery
of the Elms, Horsham Road. At first mass was
celebrated in the coach house there, converted as St.
Philip's chapel, Mrs. Montgomery standing near the
altar to translate the sermons into English. In the
following year a friary was founded by her cousin
F. S. Blunt of Crabbet Park in Worth, on a 3-a. site
north-east of the then railway station. (fn. 46) The buildings were finished in 1861, and were of brick and
stone in plain Gothic style; they consisted of four
ranges round a quadrangle with the tall church,
dedicated to St. Francis, at the north end. (fn. 47) In 1863
£100 a year was received from F. S. Blunt and less
regular sums from Mrs. Montgomery. The mission
district, which included Horsham, then stretched
between Rudgwick and Copthorne (in Worth) in the
north and Nuthurst and Lindfield in the south. (fn. 48) A
guild of St. Anthony of Padua was founded c. 1895,
and in 1910 had over 200,000 members throughout
the world. Its chapel, in coloured marble, onyx, and
alabaster, incorporated the altar and altarpiece from
Mrs. Montgomery's private chapel in Naples, which
had previously formed part of an oratory in the
church. The friars carried out much missionary
work, both in the neighbourhood and elsewhere, for
instance in the hop-picking area of Kent in 1910. (fn. 49)
The Victorian church was demolished in 1958,
and a new building, dedicated to St. Francis and St.
Anthony, was consecrated in the following year. (fn. 50)
Designed by H. S. Goodhart-Rendel, (fn. 51) and like the
previous church of Franciscan austerity, it is of
brick, with patterned decoration, and is not oriented.
Included from the previous church were fittings
from the chapel of St. Anthony and, behind the high
altar, the tomb of the founder F. S. Blunt (d. 1872),
whose effigy in Franciscan habit was sculpted by his
brother the poet W. S. Blunt. (fn. 52) The original burial
ground also remained in 1985; besides the large
gabled vault of the Blount family of East Grinstead,
it contains the grave of Lord Alfred Douglas (d.
1945). (fn. 53)
The Capuchin Franciscans left Crawley in 1980-
1, (fn. 54) the parish being handed over to secular clergy
and the friary buildings demolished.
Miscellanea, Recusant Rec. (Cath. Rec. Soc. liii), 6; cf.
Cal. Assize Rec. Suss. Eliz. I, p. 254.
||H.L.R.O., papist return (inf. from Mr. T. J. McCann,
W. Suss. Gaz. 19 Nov. 1959; G.R.O. Worship Reg.
Suss. in 20th Cent. 76; Kelly's Dir. Suss. (1862), s.v.
Crawley; Bastable, Crawley, 146, 148; above, pl. facing
||Archives of Dioc. of Arundel and Brighton, Bishop's
Ho., Hove, Southwark dioc. visitation, 1863.
Suss. in 20th Cent. 76-7.
||Bastable, Crawley, 147; above, pl. facing p. 65.
||Nairn & Pevsner, Suss. 202.
||Bastable, Crawley, 149; E. Longford, Pilgrimage of
Passion, 86, 89.
||W.S.R.O., MP 1548.
Arundel and Brighton Cath. Dir. (1980, 1981).