Crawley New Town
Local government

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

T P Hudson (Editor), A P Baggs, C R J Currie, C R Elrington, S M Keeling, A M Rowland

Year published

1987

Supporting documents

Page

89

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Crawley New Town: Local government', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 6 Part 3: Bramber Rape (North-Eastern Part) including Crawley New Town (1987), pp. 89. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18419 Date accessed: 01 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LOCAL GOVERNMENT

The urban district established in 1956 was divided into eight wards corresponding to neighbourhoods but excluding Gossops Green. The development corporation sold the site for a town hall north of the Boulevard to the urban district council in 1958; the hall and offices were opened in 1964. (fn. 49) The urban district became a borough in 1974. (fn. 50) There were 13 wards in 1983. (fn. 51) Elections were by thirds. (fn. 52)

Whereas before 1956 Crawley parish council was not divided by party, the urban district council was controlled by Labour except in 1969 and 1970. (fn. 53) In 1983 there were 20 Labour and 12 Conservative borough councillors. (fn. 54)


Crawley Urban District Council, later Borough of Crawley.

Crawley Urban District Council, later Borough of Crawley.
Argent, on across azure between four acorns leaved and slipped proper, nine martlets volant or.[Granted 1957; regranted to the borough 1976]

Footnotes

49 C.D.C. 11th Ann. Rep. 1958, 156-7; C.N.T. 3rd Ann. Rep. 1965, 14.
50 Above, intro.
51 'Boro. of Crawley: Outline' (1983), 5; Crawley Official Guide (1983), 21.
52 Municipal Yr. Bk. (1984).
53 Crawley, ed. Gray, 33; Crawley Ref. Libr., 'Devel. of Community Life', Rob. May, p. 1; inf. from Mr. Frost.
54 'Boro. of Crawley: Outline' (1983), 5.