Creech St. Michael
Nonconformity

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

R W Dunning, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, M C Siraut

Year published

1992

Supporting documents

Pages

28-29

Citation Show another format:

'Creech St. Michael: Nonconformity', A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6: Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and neighbouring parishes) (1992), pp. 28-29. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18511 Date accessed: 27 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

NONCONFORMITY

In 1669 there was a conventicle, probably at Charlton, with 4 teachers and 200 hearers. (fn. 33) Two meeting houses were licensed in 1689, one probably for Presbyterians (fn. 34) and one for Quakers who had been meeting in the parish by 1674. (fn. 35) Meeting houses were licensed at Ham in 1699 and elsewhere in the parish in 1700. (fn. 36) The Quaker meeting house, at North End, continued in use throughout the 18th century but was sold in 1804. (fn. 37)

A group of nonconformists met at Adsborough in 1701. (fn. 38) Adsborough Congregational chapel, built in 1868, was under the care of the Taunton village evangelist in 1896 (fn. 39) but was affiliated c. 1947 to North Petherton. (fn. 40) In 1982 it was a United Reformed church with two members. (fn. 41)

John Wesley was an occasional visitor to Charlton where he preached four times between 1754 and 1770. (fn. 42) A Wesleyan chapel was built at North End in 1842. Attendances in 1851 were 22 in the morning and 19 in the evening. (fn. 43) The chapel closed in 1855, but was still standing in 1876. (fn. 44) A house at Ham was licensed for worship, possibly for Methodists, in 1832. Methodist services were held in a cottage there by 1851 and there were 25 at morning service and 27 in the evening. (fn. 45) Services continued except for a short break in the 1870s and a chapel had been built by 1899. Congregations declined and in 1915 the chapel was closed. By 1982 the building formed part of a dwelling. In 1876-8 Methodists worshipped in a cottage at Creech Heathfield. (fn. 46)

A house was registered by Baptists in 1816 and a chapel was built in 1824. (fn. 47) In 1851 attendances were 59 in the morning, 25 in the afternoon, and 125 in the evening; there were 13 Sunday school children. (fn. 48) A manse was purchased in 1978. (fn. 49) Zion Baptist chapel, a plain building, was demolished in 1983, and was replaced by a new building on a slightly different site.

Footnotes

33 Orig. Rec. of Early Nonconf. ed. G. L. Turner, i. 6.
34 S.R.O., Q/RR meeting ho. lics.; A. Gordon, Freedom after Ejection, 93.
35 S.R.S. lxxv. 69, 71, 73; S.R.O., Q/RR meeting ho. lics.; DD/SFR (w) 10/4.
36 S.R.O., Q/RR meeting ho. lics.
37 Ibid. DD/SFR (w) 4.
38 Ibid. DD/SAS RF 3(1/1), 96.
39 Rep. Som. Cong. Union (1896).
40 S.R.O., D/N/np. c (S/2356), mins.
41 United Ref. Ch. Yearbk. (1982).
42 Zion Baptist Ch., newsletter, Oct. 1974, 2-3; Christianity in Som. ed. R. Dunning (Som. C.C. 1976), 68.
43 P.R.O., HO 129/315/2/9/15; local inf.
44 S.R.O., D/N/tmc 3/2/1.
45 Ibid. D/D/Rm, box 2; P.R.O., HO 129/315/2/9/16.
46 S.R.O., D/N/tmc 3/2/1, 4/2/1-2.
47 Zion Bapt. Ch., newsletter, Oct. 1974, 2-6.
48 P.R.O., HO 129/315/2/9/17.
49 Char. Com. files.