In 1676 a man was licensed to
teach a grammar school. (fn. 99) Before 1810 there were
a day and a Sunday school, where 35 to 40 children
were taught to read and write and to do needlework,
established by the rector John Poole, with Lord
Egmont's support. Children of 3 or 4 years were
taught to read and write and cast accounts using a
sand table. Older children learnt grammar, mental
arithmetic, and chronology and were taught to teach
the younger pupils. Children attended school for
seven hours a day and had a holiday every alternate
Saturday and for a week at each of the three major
feasts. (fn. 1) By 1819 the day school had 100 pupils and
the Sunday school up to 60. (fn. 2) By 1835 these two
schools had 49 and 44 children respectively, a
second day school 18, and there were 16 attending
a mixed boarding school begun in 1826. (fn. 3)
In 1846 there were 36 children at the Sunday
school and 31 children at a dame school, and a
National school was under construction. (fn. 4) It was
finished in 1848, enlarged in 1888, and had 52
children on the books in 1903. (fn. 5) Numbers fell to
40 in 1935 but rose to 71 in 1975. In 1981 there
were 51 children on the register. (fn. 6)
A boarding school for young children at Lexworthy between 1841 and 1861 may have been
that begun in 1826. (fn. 7)
||S.R.O., D/D/Bs 42.
Paupers and Pigkillers, ed. J. Ayres, 219; J. Poole, The
Village School Improved (Oxford, 1815), passim.
Educ. of Poor Digest, p. 782.
Educ. Enq. Abstract, p. 805.
||Nat. Soc. Inquiry, 1846-7, Som. 8-9; S.R.O., DD/X/HEA,
box 33; D/P/enm 18/1/1.
||S.R.O., C/E 4/380/161; Kelly's Dir. Som. (1889).
||S.R.O., C/E 4/64.
||P.R.O., HO 107/929; ibid. RG 9/1622; above, this