Goathurst
Education

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

R W Dunning, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, M C Siraut

Year published

1992

Supporting documents

Page

52

Citation Show another format:

'Goathurst: Education', A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6: Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and neighbouring parishes) (1992), pp. 52. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18536 Date accessed: 28 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

EDUCATION.

In 1819 a school for 25 or 30 children was supported out of the sacrament money and voluntary contributions. (fn. 13) By 1825 the school taught 38 children and parents paid 1d. a week. (fn. 14) By 1835 numbers had increased to 59 (fn. 15) but fell to 30 in 1846; a further 12 attended on Sundays. From 1844 the school was supported by an endowment of land at Chilton Polden. (fn. 16) A National school, in existence in 1872, was rebuilt in 1876 and in 1903 had 45 children on the books. (fn. 17) Numbers fell to 30 in 1925, 15 in 1935, and 9 in 1952 when the school was closed. (fn. 18) In 1982 it was a private house named Old School House.

Footnotes

13 Educ. of Poor Digest, p. 784.
14 Ann. Rep. B. & W. Dioc. Assoc. S.P.C.K. (1825-6), 42.
15 Educ. Enq. Abstract, p. 806.
16 Nat. Soc. Inquiry, 1846-7, Som. 10-11; S.R.O., DD/X/GST (S/1372).
17 S.R.O., C/E 4/380/182; Morris & Co. Dir. Som. (1872).
18 S.R.O., C/E 4/64, 186.