CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.
Kemeys-Tynte, Dame Anne Tynte, and Jane
Busby by their wills dated 1776, 1794, and 1798
respectively left a total of £600 to the poor. In
1837 the money was invested in land in North
Petherton parish, some of which was sold in 1981.
The income was distributed in cloth and came to
be known as the dowlais charity. Mary Escott, by
a codicil dated 1809, gave £100 for lying-in
women, to provide a nurse for two weeks after
confinement, and to keep up the stock of linen she
had previously provided. By the 20th century the
income was distributed to elderly women and a
baptismal grant was paid to mothers. (fn. 19) John
Jeanes c. 1831 and James Culverwell by will
proved 1867 each gave £100 to the poor and
Louisa Campbell gave £300, by will proved 1872.
The income from those gifts was distributed in
bread and coal until the 1940s or later. (fn. 20) All the
above charities and the proceeds from the sale of
the poor house were combined in a scheme of
1974 to form the Goathurst Relief in Need
charity. The income, from land at Hedging in
North Petherton and the interest on £1,468 in
consolidated stock, is distributed when required. (fn. 21)
Richard Escott and Mary Jeane by their wills
dated 1784 and 1785 respectively gave a total of
£125 to provide the poor with bread. The money
was in the hands of a churchwarden and was lost
when he went bankrupt before 1866. (fn. 22) In 1866
the vestry decided that half the income from
parish property in Bridgwater should be given to
the poor. (fn. 23) The estate, known as Timberlakes
garden, was later sold and the money invested for
the benefit of the parish. (fn. 24)
15th Rep. Com. Char. 345-6; S.R.O., DD/X/GST
||S.R.O., DD/X/GST (S/1372).
||Ibid.; above, local govt.
15th Rep. Com. Char. 345-6; S.R.O., D/P/gst 23/3;
inf. from Mr. R. Thomae, Goathurst, clerk to chars.
||S.R.O., D/P/gst 4/1/2, 5/1/1.
||Ibid. DD/RN 64; Char. Com. reg.; inf. from Mr.