Aisholt
Charities for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

R W Dunning, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, M C Siraut

Year published

1992

Supporting documents

Pages

72-73

Citation Show another format:

'Aisholt: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6: Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and neighbouring parishes) (1992), pp. 72-73. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18554 Date accessed: 31 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.

Anthony Amery, rector 1577-1620, gave £15 to the poor. The bequest was used to buy the church house, the rent from which was distributed to the poor on the Sunday before Christmas. (fn. 96) By 1786 the charity seems to have been confused with the £20 given by Thomas Good in 1689. (fn. 97) Amery's charity had probably been lost but the name continued as an alternative name for Good's charity. (fn. 98) William Brice (d. 1774) left £100 for a weekly bread distribution. The rector held the capital in the early 19th century (fn. 99) but it was later invested in consols. Charity distributions ceased c. 1930 and the income has been allowed to accumulate. (fn. 1)

Footnotes

96 S.R.O., D/P/aish 17/2/1.
97 Char. Don. pp. 1048-9; 15th Rep. Com Char. 351; S.R.O., D/P/aish 17/1/1.
98 Char. Com. files.
99 15th Rep. Com. Char. 351.
1 S.R.O., D/P/can 23/11; Char. Com. files.


<--Previous:
Aisholt:
Education
Next:-->
Cannington