Cannington
Protestant nonconformity

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

R W Dunning, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, M C Siraut

Year published

1992

Supporting documents

Pages

89-90

Citation Show another format:

'Cannington: Protestant nonconformity', A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6: Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and neighbouring parishes) (1992), pp. 89-90. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18561 Date accessed: 24 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

PROTESTANT NONCONFORMITY.

An Independent meeting house was registered in 1799. (fn. 37) It may have closed before a chapel was opened in 1826. (fn. 38) That building, later used as a Sunday school, was sold in 1952. (fn. 39) A new chapel was built in 1869 for 300 people but by 1896 the cause was 'very weak'. (fn. 40) The chapel, at the west end of the village, belonged to the United Reformed church and remained open in 1989.

A meeting house for no stated denomination was licensed in 1825 and Wesleyans opened a chapel in 1847. (fn. 41) The Bible Christians planned a preaching place in 1867. (fn. 42)

Footnotes

37 S.R.O., D/D/Rm 2.
38 Rep. Som. Cong. Union (1896).
39 Char. Com. files.
40 Rep. Som. Cong. Union (1896).
41 S.R.O., D/D/Rm, box 2; D/N/bmc 3/2/1. The Independent chapel was recorded in error as Wesleyan in 1861 and 1875: P.O. Dir. Som. (1861, 1875).
42 S.R.O., D/N/bmc 3/2/5.