Charlinch
Charities for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

R W Dunning, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, M C Siraut

Year published

1992

Supporting documents

Page

97

Citation Show another format:

'Charlinch: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6: Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and neighbouring parishes) (1992), pp. 97. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18571 Date accessed: 22 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.

In 1629 several people were presented for withholding legacies to the parish including Ursula Boldey's gift of £5 to the poor. (fn. 20) Further gifts totalling £40 were made to the poor by Sir John Malet (d. c. 1685) and the Revd. John Taylor (d. 1737). (fn. 21) Malet's charity was used to provide tools. The Boldey, Malet, and Taylor charities were amalgamated in 1959. (fn. 22) Florence Baber, by will of 1713, gave £100 for apprenticing poor children. In 1867 the income was distributed to labourers but in the later 20th century it was used to help young people to earn their own living. (fn. 23) Anne Bourne (d. c. 1730) gave a rent charge of £2 10s. to poor widows, paid out of land at Gothelney, but the rent charge was redeemed c. 1966. (fn. 24) All the charities were active in 1989. (fn. 25)

Footnotes

20 Ibid. D/D/Ca 266.
21 Char. Don. pp. 1048-9.
22 S.R.O., D/P/chlch 9/1/2; Char. Com. reg.
23 Char. Don. pp. 1048-9; S.R.O., D/P/chlch 9/1/1; Char. Com. reg.
24 S.R.O., DD/GB 151; D/P/chlch 9/1/1; Char. Com. files.
25 Inf. from the rector, the Revd. J. S. Barks.


<--Previous:
Charlinch:
Education
Next:-->
Fiddington