Fiddington
Charities for the poor

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

R W Dunning, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, M C Siraut

Year published

1992

Supporting documents

Page

103

Citation Show another format:

'Fiddington: Charities for the poor', A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6: Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and neighbouring parishes) (1992), pp. 103. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18579 Date accessed: 23 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHARITIES FOR THE POOR.

John Grove, probably in 1680, gave money for apprenticing a poor boy in the woollen trade, and agreed that any residue should be used to provide woollen cloth and clothing for the poor. By a deed of 1705 the sum of £50 was secured for this purpose. (fn. 89) In the 18th and 19th centuries the income was used to distribute cloth and blankets. (fn. 90) Distributions of flannel were made until 1904 when cash was given. The last recorded distribution of cash was in 1974. (fn. 91)

Eliza Rawlings by will dated 1878 gave £50 to the poor, the interest to be distributed at Christmas. After 1942 the income was distributed with Grove's charity. (fn. 92)

Footnotes

89 Ibid. D/P/fid 4/1/1, 17/3/1; 15th Rep. Com. Char. 361-2.
90 S.R.O., D/P/fid 4/1/1, 18/3/6.
91 Ibid. 17/3/1.
92 Char. Com. reg.; S.R.O., D/P/fid 17/3/1.


<--Previous:
Fiddington:
Education
Next:-->
Otterhampton