Otterhampton
Education

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

R W Dunning, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, M C Siraut

Year published

1992

Supporting documents

Page

110

Citation Show another format:

'Otterhampton: Education', A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6: Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and neighbouring parishes) (1992), pp. 110. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18586 Date accessed: 17 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

EDUCATION.

A day school supported by subscriptions taught 20 children in 1819 and the same number, including some from Stockland Bristol, were attending in 1825. (fn. 47) There was a nonconformist Sunday school in 1822, probably at Combwich. (fn. 48) In 1835 there was no day school but 18 children attended a Sunday school, possibly in the schoolroom recorded in 1832, the number increasing to 27 in 1846. (fn. 49) A day school was built at Combwich in 1857, and in 1880 it was taken over by a school board. In 1903 there were 52 children on the books with two teachers in two rooms. (fn. 50) Numbers fluctuated, rose to 58 in 1915 and fell to 44 in 1945. By 1975 there were 68 children on the books and as many were registered in 1981. The school was known as Otterhampton school in 1989. (fn. 51)

St. Hilda's school, a private mixed school but intended primarily for girls, moved from Westcliffe-on-Sea (Essex) to Hill House c. 1946 and closed in the early 1970s. (fn. 52)

Footnotes

47 Educ. of Poor Digest, p. 792; Ann. Rep. B. & W. Dioc. Assoc. S.P.C.K. (1825-6), 42-3.
48 S.R.O., D/D/Rm, box 2.
49 Educ. Enq. Abstract, pp. 822-3; Nat. Soc. Inquiry, 1846-7, Som. 14-15; S.R.O., D/P/otn 13/2/1.
50 S.R.O., C/E 4/380/312; Lond. Gaz. 22 June 1880, 3538.
51 S.R.O., C/E 4/64.
52 Bridgwater R.D.C. Guide (1969); Char. Com. reg.; above, manors.