Bawdrip
Education

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

R W Dunning, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, M C Siraut

Year published

1992

Supporting documents

Page

191

Citation Show another format:

'Bawdrip: Education', A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6: Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and neighbouring parishes) (1992), pp. 191. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18638 Date accessed: 23 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

EDUCATION.

A parish school house, probably on Bawdrip Green, was recorded in 1763. (fn. 47) In 1819 several schools taught a total of c. 20 children and the same number attended Sunday school. (fn. 48) By 1825 43 children attended three day schools supported by parents and 45 went to the Sunday school which continued until 1846 or later. (fn. 49) A Dissenting Sunday school, begun in 1822, gave free instruction to 20 children in 1835. There was only one day school, with 11 pupils, in that year (fn. 50) but by 1846 two dame schools taught 26 children. (fn. 51)

A parochial school, built c. 1870, was enlarged in 1897 and had 53 pupils in 1903. (fn. 52) In 1913 it became a council school. Numbers fell to 29 in 1935 and were 32 in 1965. In 1966 the school was restricted to children under eight and in 1988 there were about 35 children on the register. (fn. 53)

In the 1860s there was a dame school at Bradney. (fn. 54) St. Andrew's boarding school for boys was kept at Knowle Hall during the 1950s and 1960s. (fn. 55)

Footnotes

47 S.R.O., DD/CH 47.
48 Educ. of Poor Digest, p. 773.
49 Ann. Rep. B. & W. Dioc. Assoc. S.P.C.K. (1825-6), 44; Nat. Soc. Inquiry, 1846-7, Som. 2-3.
50 Educ. Enq. Abstract, p. 794.
51 Nat. Soc. Inquiry, 1846-7, Som. 2-3.
52 S.R.O., C/E 4/380/29; ibid. DD/CH 48; D/P/baw 23/1.
53 Ibid. C/E 4/64.
54 P.O. Dir. Som. (1861, 1866).
55 Bristol, Devon, Dorset, Som. Sch. Handbk. [c. 1954]; Ind. Schs. of Som. & Glos. [c. 1967].