Chilton Trinity
Education

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

R W Dunning, C R Elrington (Editors), A P Baggs, M C Siraut

Year published

1992

Supporting documents

Page

257

Citation Show another format:

'Chilton Trinity: Education', A History of the County of Somerset: Volume 6: Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds (Bridgwater and neighbouring parishes) (1992), pp. 257. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18666 Date accessed: 27 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

EDUCATION.

There was no school in the parish in 1835, but in 1840 a Sunday school was occasionally held in the church. (fn. 80) In 1857 a regular Sunday school was attended by 13 boys and 7 girls. (fn. 81) A room was built in 1868 for the vestry and Sunday school by J. Smith, the mayor of Bridgwater. (fn. 82) By 1883 Chilton's children attended the day school at Wembdon. (fn. 83) The school room continued to be used by the Sunday school until 1963 (fn. 84) or later, and was standing in 1987.

Footnotes

80 Educ. Enq. Abstract, p. 800; S.R.O., D/D/Va 1840.
81 S.R.O., D/P/chi. t 2/6/1.
82 Ibid. 9/1/1.
83 Kelly's Dir. Som. (1883).
84 S.R.O., D/P/chi. t 2/6/1.