St. Mark's hospital
was freed from suit to the hundred court c. 1243
in respect of Pawlett manor but suit was demanded again in 1277. (fn. 65) In 1274 Pawlett tithing
was said to have withdrawn from the sheriff's
tourn. (fn. 66) Stretcholt tithing alone attended the
hundred court in the 14th and 15th centuries. (fn. 67)
A third tithing, Walpole, had been formed out
of Stretcholt by 1765. (fn. 68) Tenants of Yawesye,
later Yearsey, owed suit and payments to the
hundred. (fn. 69)
Court records survive for Pawlett Gaunts
manor for 1377, 1474-7, 1661-74, 1737, and
1760-1808. (fn. 70) The court met twice a year in the
15th century, possibly in the chapel chamber at
the manor house where the court was held in the
16th century, but in the 18th century every two
or four years. There the tithingman was chosen,
by the 17th century according to a rota. A
hayward was appointed in the 17th century and
in 1673 two men who were responsible for the
rhynes. (fn. 71) Suit of court was owed to the Dodingtons' manor in the 18th century but their right
to a court was later challenged. (fn. 72) Suit for a
holding at Grove was owed twice a year in 1612
to Edward Tynte's unspecified court at Pawlett. (fn. 73) Walpole manor was administered with
Bawdrip, and court rolls for both survive for
1479-82, 1537, and 1541-3. (fn. 74)
By the later 18th century four overseers were
appointed in rotation, each serving for two years.
Two constables each were appointed for Pawlett
and Stretcholt. The vestry provided relief in
cash and in kind, paid for an artificial leg in 1783
and an amputation in 1799, employed a surgeon
by 1806 and a molecatcher from 1815. (fn. 75) A select
vestry was appointed in 1824. (fn. 76) Paupers in the
poorhouse were supplied with a wide range of
food and goods including knitting needles and
garden seeds. (fn. 77)
There was a poorhouse by 1778 and another
house in Pound Lane was acquired on lease in
1792. (fn. 78) In 1807 and 1820 the vestry decided on
extensions, probably to the original house, which
in 1836 was let as two cottages. Standing on the
lane to the brickyard it was sold in 1857. (fn. 79) The
house in Pound Lane was divided by 1810 (fn. 80) and
in 1986 was a private house.
In the 19th century Pawlett had a jury of
sewers to view rhynes and ditches (fn. 81) and by 1936
the parish had its own water board to supervise
drainage and freshwater irrigation of the Hams.
The board also appointed a herdsman and shepherd. It was absorbed into the Bridgwater and
Pawlett drainage board in 1946. (fn. 82) Pawlett
formed part of the Bridgwater poor-law union
in 1836, Bridgwater rural district in 1894, and
Sedgemoor district in 1974. (fn. 83)
||S.R.O., DD/BR/bi 1; DD/S/HY 6/163.
Rot. Hund. (Rec. Com.), ii. 128.
||S.R.O., DD/SAS NP 10, mm. 1-2; 15, m. 1.
||Ibid. NP 10, mm. 2-3; DD/MLY 6.
||Ibid. DD/SAS NP 10, mm. 5, 14, 15.
||Wimborne St. Giles, Shaftesbury MSS., M 127, 130,
S.R.S. xxviii. 18; Wimborne St. Giles, Shaftesbury
MSS., LE 995; M 127, 205.
||S.R.O., DD/AH 24/8; DD/MLY 1, 6; DD/SAS
(H/202) 4; (H/212) 15.
||Ibid. DD/S/WH 172.
||P.R.O., SC 2/198/2; ibid. LR 3/123.
||S.R.O., D/P/pawl 9/1/1; 13/2/1-2.
||Ibid.; ibid. DD/MLY 6.
||Ibid. D/P/pawl 9/1/1, 13/2/6; DD/MLY 5.
||Ibid. DD/MLY 6; ibid. tithe award.
||Ibid. D/P/pawl 23/1.
||Ibid. D/RA 4/4/4, 4/5/5.
||Youngs, Local Admin. Units, i. 671, 673, 676.